• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have the opertunity to buy a tank for about the same price as getting one custom made but instead of holes on the back like I was wanting it has holes in the bottom which has screwed up all my plans
icon_wink.gif
. the bonus is it is a 24" tall tank instead of a 18" tall. the problem is I am not sure how to plum this tank so I need ideas. here is a drawing of the bottom of the tank so you can see what I am talking about.
tankbottom.jpg

thanks
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could set it up with a large stack of LR in the center and thin it out towards the edges. you could put spraybars on the returns, and money permitting, have 2 reurn pumps on two timers. that way you could get a good variance in the flow pattern.

If it is about the sme price, Why not get exactly what you want?

B

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am looking at the fact that the one I was going to order was a 50 gal (3' x 18" x 18") this one that has the holes in the bottom is a 65gal (3' X 18" X 24" ) so I would rather have the extra hight so after a 4 to 6 sand bed I still have 18" of tank. I did come up with one Idea let me know what you think.
oneway.jpg

Steve

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]</p>

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Pretty good diagram. Keep in mind that if power fails, you whole tank going to be drained completely unless you put check valve or standpipe-return.

Use the fact that water circulate in counter clock-wise direction in the N. Hemisphere, so both the return will help in circulate the water, instead of working aginst each others.

For a predrilled tank without much scratches, you should pay much less than half of a new tank price...

yabby

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do with the price of wheat..

Just wanted to check that you wern't serious about water having to flow counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere!!!!.

Fluids (ie low pressure systems for example) do preferrently rotate in different directions in different hemispheres BUT only on a LARGE scale.

The preferential rotation is caused by the corrolis force which is only significant over a scale of 10's of km (miles for you guys). It has no effect on water going down a toilet or fish tanks. Hence toilet's and fish tanks work the same way in Australia and the US!.

But you are correct, choose a uniform flow direction to get the max current.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: yabby ]</p>

Rich-n-poor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Just wanted to check that you wern't serious about water having to flow counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere!!!!.

Well he may not be serious but I am.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> It has no effect on water going down a toilet or fish tanks. Hence toilet's and fish tanks work the same way in Australia and the US!.
<hr></blockquote>

while I am not sure what effect it has in a pump driven system I do know that it is true in any gravity flow system. If you dont believe me and you live in the northern hemisphere just go flush the toilet and watch it go counter clockwise
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: