• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

acidbaby1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SL 37's from Custom SeaLife. Although the daylight and actinic bulbs/sockets have separate power sources, they malfunction when rigged to separate timers. Either both lights will stay on or both off, they can not be run separately. Although I beleive this is due to improper wiring by the manufacturer,(The ballasts are not grounded) I am reluctant to change the wiring. CSL wants to send me a replacement, but if this is how they wire all of their ballasts, I do not think this will be a remedy. Has anyone had this problem? I am using Analog timers from Intermatic, and have mucho experience with electronics.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CSL 2x32w PC. They are on analog timers (probably the same kind you have) and work great.

Why are the ballasts not grounded? That sounds bad to me. You could open the ballast box and make sure all wires look okay, and are not cross patched. It sounds like they are. The two lights should be two COMPLETEY separate circuits.

The power cable coming in should only go to one ballast, and the ballast should connect all four wires to the same wire going to one lamp.

I can look and see if I still have the wiring diagram from mine, which tells which color wire should go where.

HTH
B

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bingo ]</p>

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked, and I don't have the paper instructions from my lights.

IF I were you, I would take the actual balasts out of the metal enclosure, and check the wiring. On top of most ballasts, there is a wiring diagram. Compari it to your wiring, and make teh needed adjustments (unplug it first...)

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: