• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I need is a reliable float switch to kick my peristaltic pump on/off. I plan on making a little acrylic box around the switch to keep critters off it, and also to eliminate air bubbles and splashes from effecting it.

lukestro

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aghhh.

I know where your coming from. Sorry this really isn't an answer but I'm trying to run a 2000gph through a 55g tank with a 40g sump, so timing the float switch is very tricky. It actually ends up to around 1000gph once it travels through the filters, skimmer, etc, but still a pain in the butt. I have place the switch in the sump. Can you change the polarity of the switch? Actually, hmmm...AC current, i don't know. I'm interested in a more reliable system as well so if anyone has suggestions please do tell.

Ryan

clutchcargo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my top-off system, I used a couple of float switches from mcmaster.com running to a relay (to keep the high voltage away from the water). I used 2 float switches just for redundency. I found that the switches fit and operate perfectly inside of 35mm film canisters.
What I did was cut a hole through the lid of the canister and mounted the thread portion of the switch through the lid before screwing it into the bracket. I then cut some holes through the bottom and sides of the canister so the water can get in.
It makes a pretty good slosh guard and critter keeper outer. I can just pop the 35mm film cans off to clean the switches. So far it works pretty good with the float range being about 3/16". As far as long-term use, it's only been running for about 1 month.

JoshF

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clutchcargo: I like the 35mm canister and the low voltage relay idea... My current float switch operates at a full 120v and puts enough current into the water that if I have my hands in the tank when it kicks in I can feel it using me as a ground... It's definitely on the way out. I've already ordered a low voltage relay, but am curious how you'd use two for redundancy?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: