• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Nycro

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on this desing here

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diy3inskimmer.htm

And have a question on the tube that goes to the colection cup how far from the water level should it be.The collection cup is 12" and the tube from the skimmer body to the collection cup is only 6". It make me wonder if the tube should be longer then 6" as it seems as very little of the collection cup would be used. And if raised in the collection cup as in the picture it is no where near the water line in the skimmer body.

3-6inskimmer.gif

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drew those plans for SnailMan. The old plans were very hard to understand and unless you know what the PVC parts looked like you would not be able to construct the skimmer easily. I tried to replicate the look of the PVC parts and make the plans more clear, but I did not try to make them to scale. In the drawing, both the collection cup and bubble neck are incorrect sizes. The cup is too short and the bubble neck is too long.

You do not want the bubble neck near the water column, but as high in the flexible coupleing as you can get it and still have it stable. You need the collection cup that long because these skimmers are so efficient that you can literally have it produce a column of dry foam SEVERAL feet tall. The extra long collection cup just helps to contain this. The drain in the collection cup is nescessary.

Here is an updated diagram:
correction.jpg

Thanks for bringing this error up. I'll re draw the diagram and submit it to SnailMan.

Thanks,
Mark

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: MarkS ]</p>

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an old program for the Mac called SuperPaint. It combines both a painting and drawing environment. I used the drawing part so that I could keep the vector data around if I need to make changes. It's not as good as Illustrator, but will work for now. ...Or until I upgrade to OSX and lose the ability to run old, i.e., pre-PPC, programs.

Mark

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mac:
<strong>WOW!
Macpaint... where in the hell did you find that!?! I haven't heard that name spake in years! Glad to see it's still kicking!
The Application might work in Classic Environment in OS X. I'm testing X for our Prepress lab here, and so long as the software doesn't make any direct calls to hardware, it seems to run OK in classic (Dongles and Hasps are about the only thing causing real problems for us). If you're really curious, I can give you an eMail address to send it to, and 'll give it a whack on my laptop (running 10.1.2-9.2 Classic). Shoot me a private message off the board and I'll give you my work eMail account

- Mac</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacPaint? LOL Heck NO! I could not get that old dinosour to work on a Mac Plus with OS 7. This program is SuperPaint. It was originally made by Aldus and was retired when Aldus was bought by Adobe. This program is post System 7 and 32 bit QuickDraw.

Mark

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... my mistake.. SuperPaint was light-years ahead of it's time... When it came out, it was the only thing that could handle Vector and Bitmapped Data at the same time. Even now, Adobe's barely getting there with InDesign.. Oh well, I for one am glad we kept all our Quark Licenses :)
If you still want me to try SuperPaint in X lemme know, as I haven't seen that one in many moons, either.

- Mac

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!
Macpaint... where in the hell did you find that!?! I haven't heard that name spake in years! Glad to see it's still kicking!
The Application might work in Classic Environment in OS X. I'm testing X for our Prepress lab here, and so long as the software doesn't make any direct calls to hardware, it seems to run OK in classic (Dongles and Hasps are about the only thing causing real problems for us). If you're really curious, I can give you an eMail address to send it to, and 'll give it a whack on my laptop (running 10.1.2-9.2 Classic). Shoot me a private message off the board and I'll give you my work eMail account

- Mac

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AWD:
<strong>Where can I find part "N" ? I checked the online resources with out any luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can find it at your local Home Depot or plumbing supply store. It looks like a very large funnel with a very short and very wide spout.

If you are building the 3" skimmer, ask for a 4" to 1 1/2" reducer coupling.

For the 4" skimmer, ask for a 4" to 2" reducer coupling.

The 6" skimmer needs a 6" to 4" reducer coupling. You will probably not find this at Home Depot, but most pluming supplies carry it. It is important to ask for a coupling and NOT a bushing.

Also, check out www.savko.com . You can get almost everything for the skimmer there.

Mark

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: