• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reefgal

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been searching for a used tank to replace my current sump, a rubbermaid stock tank. I have had a guy contact me that has a tank that has the center partition broke. Do you think this can be fixed?

The tank is a 125 gal. glass tank. Can I cut out the broken pieces and silicone in a new brace? If it can be fixed, what is a fair price to offer him? He doesn't "know what its worth" and I don't know what would be fair to offer him for it.

Any thoughts?

Reefgal

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify; it is the brace on top that is broken-- now that I look at my first post I realize I wasn't too clear...sorry...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace the brace. Just be sure to clean out all the old silicone first. You may not even need to replace the brace if you are not going to fill it up all the way.

As for a fair price I think I would start at $30 and go from there...

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Perfecto (?) 125g "euro glazing" tank very cheaply from a chain LFS bought out by another chain. It had the broken center brace, it has been holding water for 4 years. There is a slightly noticable bow (1/4" af front and back glass). This tank was made of thicker glass than the standard 125s on display there. Bill.

Reefgal

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I would like to replace the rubbermaid stock tank is because it takes up too much room. I have the sump plumbed through the wall into a small room beside the tank. It is the 100 gal. rubbermaid tank, which measures 33" - and the room is only 62" wide. Switching to a regular tank should give me at least an extra 10". And since I will be upgrading to a larger skimmer soon and also have hopes to add a calcium reactor in the near future - I need all the space I can get!
icon_biggrin.gif

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Reefgal ]</p>

mrrrkva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of cutting it out and possibly not getting a good glue contact, why dont you get another piece of thick plastic and put it over the old piece and screw, or epoxy it? I had a tank that the center brace was integrated into the plastic that goes around the top of the tank. This is stronger than the original piece

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replacing the old center beam should be no problem at all. if you want to get rid of it all together you can brace the lip all around with 3/4" thick by 2" wide pieces. and you will actually get a stronger tank without annoyance of the beam in the middle
icon_smile.gif

bashcraft

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bucktronix:
<strong>if you want to get rid of it all together you can brace the lip all around with 3/4" thick by 2" wide pieces. and you will actually get a stronger tank without annoyance of the beam in the middle
icon_smile.gif
</strong><hr></blockquote>

How would you attach these pieces to a glass tank??

Bob

Scottis24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For good tank building guidelines see Moe's "The Marine Aquarium Handbook" To atach the new peices you would lay the tenk on its front and use the weight of the tank to keep the glass brace in place while your silicone cured. Pretty easy to do.

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bashcraft:
<strong>

How would you attach these pieces to a glass tank??

Bob</strong><hr></blockquote>

aquarium epoxy.. same way the rest of the tank is glued together.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: