• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Cresta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this gadget at HD and is wondering what do you guys think about its capablilties.....

It is the "3060 Electronis Aqua Timer" by Melnor. It can be found under Products, then Timer page.

Basically a timer for watering your garden and it is designed to hook up to a outdoor faucet. Adapting it to PVC hook-up is very easy. Just look in the HD PVC section for parts (total about $2).

The unit has 6 cycles with "MIST" function. Since there are no limit on the cycle time, it can be set to run from 12:00 pm to 11:59 am. This almost makes it operate 24/7. The "MIST" function will operate the valve in the unit to open for 5-15 min then close for 10 min. The timer runs on 2 AA battery. But, I'm sure a AC/DC adapter can be rigged up to it with little modification.

Total cost about $43 + tax. ($36 for unit, $2 for PVC parts, $5 for AC/DC adapter).

Drawbacks.....
1.) Unit has 3/4" opening at most.
2.) It makes semi-loud noise during its "open/close" valve cycles.
3.) Needs external power source due to constant open/close cycles.
4.) Unknown durability

This unit can be hooked up to a return line to provide wave movements. Nothing is hanging in the tank, so its an upgrade in looks over powerheads.

Please tell me what you guys think!

henkelsfamily1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping tuned in. I am doing a 230 and want to do the ball valve thing for my wave maker but cringe every time I think about the cost. It is going to up the bill by about 1500 clams.

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that you could replace the external parts with PVC fittings, but internally, I would guess that it's got copper or brass fittings and would be inappropriate for a reef environment. Also, is it totally corrosion proof?

Cresta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is totally water proof on the housing (intended to be installed outdoor). Inside, I'm not sure. Just looking from one open to another. It looks just like a regular ball vale. As far as I can tell, its just plastic parts coming in contact with water.

SteveP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some pix?
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve
8{I

thepup88

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something I seen at Lowes,I'm sure they have them at HD as well,is called an indexing valve.It is a valve with one inlet and 6 outlets.you use a solenoid to shut off the suppl water and it automatically changes outlets.it seems to be all plastic,may be intersting to check out,they are 35 bucks and a solenoid is around 12,you would also neeed a timer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: