• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Techy-Mechy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently designing a nano tank that will be made out of a 20 gallon TruVu acrylic tank (24"Lx13"Wx16"H). I plan on dividing the tank by placing a false wall 7" from one end so that the main tank viewing area is approximately 17"Lx13"Wx15"H with a sump/refugium on the back of the tank (I will be viewing the tank from one typical end of the tank). Currently, the top flange is about 4 1/2" along the side of the tank that is typically used as the rear of the tank (has slot for HOB filter, etc.) and about 2" on the typical "front" side of the tank. I want to change the flange so that it is 2" all the way around. Because the typical "rear" of the tank has the HOB filter slot cut out of it, this modification will only leave the 3/4" flang where the slot cut out used to be. I'd like to modify the tank by cutting the flange down to 2" all the way around the tank and glue another 1/4" thick, 2" wide acrylic flange on the top of the tank. Do you think that this modification will be strong enough?

Please respond and thanks,

Dave

skipm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A continuous 2 inch rim should be sufficient enough for the size of the tank. You will want to keep the top brace a one piece unit and have the corners radiused to prevent them from cracking. Also remember that the wall you are adding will greatly reinforce the stability of the tank. Good luck, Skip

Techy-Mechy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Well - you may call me fickle, but I've decided to make my own tank instead of butchering this little 20 gallon tank. There's a local guy who does acrylic work for a living that can get me a good price on acrylic and will help me do the job. the tank size will be slightly different: 22"Lx16"Hx16"W with a divider wall 7" along the length (viewable tank will be 15"Lx16"Hx16"W. This will allow me to make a clean design of the reverse Carlson surge and clean up the sump design. I'll be making the tank out of 3/8" acrylic with a 1/4" thick top flange that will be 1 1/2" wide around the viewable portion of the tank.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that the 2" should be enough.

for the area that's going to be 3/4", are you planning to overlay that with the 2" wide brace as well? that sounds best to me..

the other comments about the sump/fuge wall adding strength sound good to me, though the benefit will be directly related to the quality of the glue joint.

be sure to use a solvent cement, and make the parts fit *exactly* and smoothly before.

this sounds like a great project!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: