• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

russelas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried building a glass tank themselves. I am looking for about a 30 gallon tank but I can's seem to find a pre-manufactured one in the size i need for my sump.

if so, any suggestions/advice!
got a link?

thanks, andy

jiml77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 50 gallon 20+ years ago. I had a 60 gal on a stand with a shelf below. I had a glass company cut to my dimensions and glued it together with silicone. Had it for several years and sold it to get a bigger tank. Was very easy. Held it together with masking tape after gluing. Put a wood frame around the top and bottom.

Rabbit

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim,

I've built several refugiums, sumps, overflow boxes, etc. all from glass that I cut myself.

On my two tanks right now I'm using refugiums/sumps that I built myself with overflow boxes and such. I love to cut glass and build stuff!

With that, I want to warn you that if you aren't really used to it, and even if you are, you can make mistakes. Mistakes can ruin a whole sheet of glass sometimes.

I found my drimmel tool works very well to smoth the edges. Otherwise you will always be cutting yourself. Skin get more tender in the salt water.

I was all jazzed to build a tank too, BUT I found I couldn't buy the glass to make a 15 gallon for less that the cost of a pre-made 30 gallon! So I build my parts and customize, but leave the actual tank to the pros.

So, for what ever you end up doing. Measure twice, cut once, and use duct tape to hold the walls to gether while the glue is drying. I love this tip from LeeRoy at www.garf.org.

Anyway, let me know if I can help further. I'm wanting to do a 'glass cutting workshop' with my club.

HIH

ssgibbons

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to build a glass aquarium 24w 24h 48L and was wondering if 3/8 would be thick enough, or would i have to step up to 1/2"

Also, does anyone know where to get the black trim that goes around the top and bottom of the tank?

Canada_Dry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a few tanks over the years. What I did was go to my local glass shop with the dimensions for the tank and had them cut it for me. (Very cheap I think around $1.00 a cut back then) I also asked them to use used glass for the sides, back and bottom. (Most glass shops keep glass that is in good shape that they removed from jobs they have done, and you can buy this used stuff for 1/3 of the cost of new glass) I asked them to use a new piece of glass for the front, but was lucky, the shop had a used piece with out any scratches at all, so I went used glass all the way, saved a lot of cash. Just something to think about before you start, go visit a glass shop and asked how much to cut the glass and ask if they have used glass. As far as putting all together it is very easy. Use a good quality silicone, run a bead down the edge of one piece of glass, the mate the two pieces together, use a square to make sure it is all squared up. Use masking tape to hold it together. Allow it to dry about 15 min, or just until it seams to be holding then run a another bead of silicone down between the two pieces to form that nice seal against each pieces and add strength to the bond. Also use masking tape run down each piece of glass where they join together, leaving about a ¼ inch of glass exposed near each edge, that way when you run the bead of silicone you wont have to worry about making a nice straight bead, any excess silicone will over flow onto the tape. Then just remove the tape after about 10 min and you will have nice clean joint.

Canada_Dry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ssgibbons":1afoev1e said:
I would also like to build a glass aquarium 24w 24h 48L and was wondering if 3/8 would be thick enough, or would i have to step up to 1/2"

Also, does anyone know where to get the black trim that goes around the top and bottom of the tank?

I would defiantly go 1/2 on that thank size. Also check with your local glass shop, you can buy 1/2 used glass for the sides and bottom (Stuff they may have removed from a department store window or something) and it will cost you a lot less. You can then buy a new piece of glass for the front, or go used for the front if they have a good clean scratch-less piece.

As far as the plastic trim, I don’t know where to get it, I made my trim out of pine for the top and bottom, and had no problems.
Canada_Dry.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: