• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tangeray1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone be so kind to refer me to a thread or give detailed instructions on how to build and install a overflow box inside center back of tank. Please specify dimensions My tank is 48"Lx18"Wx20H. I can possible have local plastics co build and glue box for me. thanks much

WayneL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if your tank is drillable. I made my own overflows out of acrylic and drilled four 1 3/4 inch holes, two holes for each overflow. I then used the bulkheads to "bolt" the overflows into the tank. You need two gaskets for each bulkhead, one between the box and the bottom of the tank and the other between the top part of the bulkhead and the inside bottom of the reef boxes.

I would also recommend using a blue plastic and painting the outside back of your tank blue, makes for a great background.

To drill the tank I purchased a 1 3/4" diamond drill bit. I bult a template that matched the holes in the bottom of the boxes out of plywood. The template fit in the corner of the bottom of the tank when it was turned upside down. I also made a brace that held a piece of plywood tightly against the inside of the tank as well. Using water to keep the bit cool, I carfully drilled the holes in the bottom of my 150 gallon oceanic, which I know to be drillable. The bit cost me 120 dollars.

Let me know if you need more specifics.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: