• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcm1229

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched through the messages but haven't found any that say "That's it!!"

I'm looking for a simple hood for a 30x12 footprint. Only saw cuts I'd like to make are straight ones - no holes for doors etc ... I'll be mounting a reflector with PC lights to the top. I'd like to have access for feeding etc ... without removing it.

any ideas (pics)??

Thanks!

jcm1229

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a 2 piece canopy 4inch bottom, 4inch top. Retro mounted in top so that lights are only 3-4 inches above water. I like this idea, but would like the front access at tank level I thought maybe have the front board of the lower 4 inch part swing down (open down instead of up) and hang like a shelf from the front lip of the tank for holding food etc ... while feeding, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Attached is a pic of the Oceanic canopy I have on my 75 FW planted tank.

attachment.php

My concept would have both top and bottom 4 inches high. You can see in the top half, there are wood support running from front to back that are 4 inches high as well. I would mount my 10 inch reflector to this. the air space above and a cutout in the rear would allow for wires, and heat dispersement.

The lower half would basically be a square with cutout in the rear for skimmer etc, but I would envision the front panel swinging down, supported somehow to be parallel to the top of the tank as a shelf while open.

I may have to do the bottom as a 6inch piece to make it more stable due to cutout in back.

Does this make any sense??

Any further thoughts??

Thanks!

mjc

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a 20" tall canopy built for my 125. There are three doors in front which allows me to open and service, feed or add livestock.

There is a 4" ceiling drop to store my dry stuff e.g., ballast, wavemaker, etc., up on top. I purchased a 4' long electrical outlet strip to attach on top, this is connected to a GFCI. These strips are similar to what you might find in the backroom of an office. The nice thing about these vs. regular extension strips, is the plugs are spaced apart farther allowing me to plug in those square AC adapters and timers without wasting any plugs.

Also, I have an option of cutting out 4" squares for attaching a fan to draw out warm air.

Inside I'm mounting my retro MH and PC. Because the lights are installed approx 16" off the surface of the water, and the doors open to the front, there is still ample clearance allowing me to get inside the tank.

My tank is a 125 (60x20x24), the stand is 60x20x30 and the canopy os 60x20x20, overall height is over 6' tall.

HTH,

Marty

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: