• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dumb Guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen almost every DIY plan on the internet, and came up with this one on my own. It's kind of like a counter-current skimmer with a venturi in place of the airstone. I have a AquaClear 802 powerhead with the Venturi option, so I would use this as the pump in the below diagram.

Skimmer.gif

Yeah I know all the dimensions might not be perfect yet, but is the overall idea good? The whole thing is gravity fed and the output/water height adjusted would be made of flexible tube and hung from the top of the cabinet at the right height (based on how much foam I'm producing).

The input pipe would probably have to extend lower into the skimmer body to be below the foam.

I thought this might be better than the standard venturi since it is counter current, and thus more contact between bubbles and water. Please let me know if this thing will work or not.

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
The skimmer will work, but I am not familiar with your AquaClear pump to tell you how efficient it will be. There is the problem with the input tube, as you already realized. You may have to adjust the position of the pump inlet and outlet, as well as the height of the input tube to make it efficient enough to get nice skimmate. Otherwise, it will just making bubbles and you either get nothing in the cup, or lot of tank water really fast.

If you enjoy doing the adjustment portion of DIY, this is a good way to come up with something that you will be proud of. However, it is often frustrating, and that's what you are paying for when you buy a commerical skimmer with good reputation, or a well-tested DIY skimmer plan.

Dumb Guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks O P Ing. I will have to think more about what I want to do now, esp. with the pump input/output.

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever seen Mavericks break big?[/quote]
nope.. when it gets big enough to break(15+) most guys like me are running for shelter!!! *LOL* but I did surf that area for years (pacifica, half moon bay, el granada ).. there's probably 10 spots like that between Santa Cruz and San Francisco. Mav's is only popular because of Foo (RIP) and the fact it has a HUGE peak and a channel.. if it's over head high.. I'm playing golf!!

Mutagen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dumb Guy,

This design is not really new, at least not in my opinion. It is really a modification of the EuroReef design except that with the EuroReef, the feed pump is also the venturi/aspirating pump.

But I think the idea is good because I have run a very similar DIY design for several years now. A skematic of mine can be seen on the Reef Central on line magazine in the June edition. The main difference is that you maintain level by adjusting the overflow pipe height while I use a valve.

There are some other differences too. Most are due to some issues that will arise when building the design as you have shown.

1) If the pump is very low in the skimmer, it will run under a constant pressure created from the height of the water column in the skimmer. A small pump with minimal suction capability will not aspirate very much air into the water, especially if the skimmer is very tall.

2) If it is to be gravity fed, the top of your tank will need to be higher than the top of the skimmer. This will limit the height of the skimmer depending on where the skimmer is located relative to the tank.

3) In a power outage, the air intake to the skimmer will leak out water until the water in the skimmer is below the level of the venturi air inlet. This can be remedied by connecting air line tubing to the venturi air inlet and securing higher than the skimmer water column height.

4) The venturi discharge back into the skimmer column should be at least 6 inches above the point where the water enters the over flow pipe or the over flow will contain many bubbles.

5) If your overflow control maintains level as a simple overflow and then drops back down into a sump as a free fall, it will be very noisy. You could pipe the return down to the sump and put a vacumm breaker in this pipe to prevent siphoning. Such a design does put bubbles back in the sump and obviously begins to add complexity as well.

I made mine using a mag 950 as the aspirating pump and placed it higher in the skimmer column so that it has a very easy time pulling in as much air as desired. The return (from the aspirating pump) going back into the skimmer column is then returned near the bottom of the skimmer through an internal pipe. I chose to use a separate pump to feed the skimmer so that I could control the water throughput independent of the aspirating pump, as is true with suggested design. This means I must control the water height in the skimmer column by either throttling the feed or the discharge from the skimmer. But the valve is really no worse than having to set the adjustable pipe as in your design. With my skimmer, which is 6" in diameter about 6 ft tall, I also have to have enough room in my sump for an extra 5 gallons of water which will drain from the skimmer during a power outage. Your design removes this problem.

I think you should be able to make a very effective skimmer using your design as long as you account for the few pit falls I have mentioned. Maybe someone else will see some other issues, but i doubt it since mine seems to work quite well.

Good luck, Mutagen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: