• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Does any one know how skimmer diameter effects performance? Say I had access to an 8" diameter tube. Aside from looking silly would a "reaction chamber" 24" high work? I was thinking that maybe there wouldn't be enough foam to make it up into the collection cup.

Any thoughts?

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on skimmer style (Counter Current, Beckett, venturi, etc)

8" OD Tubing is a great place to start for a skimmer chamber. You will most likley want to taper that down at the top t maybe 4" to help the foam rise. I that I have built is beckett skimmers. I would cut that 8" down to 12", and top it off with a 4"OD x 8" riser.

I think that you want at least 24" of contact time inorder to remove DOC productivly

Here are a couple of links to some skimmers that I have built.
http://www.bluechunks.net/reef/skimmer2

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey platypus,

How do you think your skimmer perform compared to the high-end skimmers like Lifereef, euroreef, etc.

I'm thinking of building my own after I finish the acrylic calcium reactor class. But I won't skimp on the skimmer. I'll pay out the cash if that is the only way to get top notch performance!

Louey

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha - this has been augued before, "IMO" The best performing skimmers are "BECKETTS". The only complaint I have ever heard about BECKETTS is they need a little bit larger pump for optimum performance ( No biggie to me)

Here is an article were there run skimmers against each other
http://www.thereefweb.com/skimmer_comparison.htm

The concept is pretty staight forward for this type of skimmer (Perssurised water through a Beckett 1408 injector)

I am the same way, I want something that performs well, If buying a $700 areofoamer is the only way, then, that is the route I would go. But I am confident that my skimmers perform just as well, as any of the top end skimmers. And I am convinved that a Beckett is the way to go!

I think "Euroreef CS8-2" is a good choice, but dont like the propriatry pumps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Platypus, It's an new feature of RDO called MACO. They offer several on-line classes and one of them is how to work with acrylic. During the 5 week course you will build your own calcium reactor. Here is a link to the course profile. The intent of the course is to teach all of the skills necessary to work with acrylic so that you can design your own aquariums and related items. Looks like you already have those skills.

I haven't made mine yet as the class doesn't start until February 23rd.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: