• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BORECKI

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the following;
www.herbach.com
They are authorised vendors for www.hansen.com
And then look under the heading of "syncron" motors. Take your pick from 60 rpm down to 1 rpm to 3 rpH, 1rph, 1rpday even 1rpweek.
I bought a syncron 1rph for $19.95+ s&h=$24.00.
Very happy.
Boris.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
First thing that came to my mind is the clock on the wall... :lol:

BORECKI

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'v also thought of wall clocks as a possable 1rpm/1rph motor, BUT, they have no torque at all. The syncron motors from www.hansen.com have at 1rpm about 30 inch/pound of stalling torque. The 1rph even more. They also have several choices of output shafts, versus a wall clocks needle shaft.
Boris.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I was going to ignore this post. Because I don't have the foggiest clue why a fellow reefer would want a 1 HP motor.

So, would someone please tell me what the hell you would use one for? :mrgreen:

BORECKI

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
louey; It's not a 1HP motor but a 1rph motor (read-one rotation per hour,[or minute or day/week/whatever]).
I got one because I am in the process of elimenating the four powerheads in my tank and replacing them with a constantly rotating valve manfold fed of my main return.
These slow motors a ideal for opening and closing water valves.

Side note: WARNING!! these geared motors run HOT.
Boris.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borecki,

I meant RPM, not HP. And thanks for clueing me in on this topic.

Louey

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Considering the free trade agreement between the US and Canada maybe you should do some cross-border shopping.

You can get a 1 rpm synchronous gear-motor, dimensionally identical to a Hurst series A gear-motor 110vac 1 rpm (Grainger p/n 6Z535), for Cdn $3.95 or with 1.63 exchange rate US $2.42. 8O

These motors are surplus stock, they come in 1 and 2 rpm configurations. Actually the shaft configuration is even better than the Hurst motors since they are machined flat on both sides.

I have used them in some of my own DIY Rotating Return Projects and I must say they work real well. :wink:

Use this link http://www.addison-electronique.com/Catalogue/Addison-Electromecanique.pdf

Good luck and happy DIYing.

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a sea swirl motor call them. They sold me one to replace the one i burned out.

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Bill2,

The overheating and subsequent burnout of the Sea-Swirl motors seems to come up often, must if they sell them on the manufacturer's website.

I myself have experienced no significant heat build-up on my DIY Sea-Squirrel because I use an aluminum motor mounting plate that is 1/8" thick. My drive motor is also of a different make and not from Autotrol.

This aluminum plate acts as a great heat-sink. I've never taken a Sea-Swirl apart, but I've been told that the motor mount is not metal, you may be able to swap it out for an aluminum plate or at least mount a heat-sink there somehow.

These synchronous gear-motors are almost all about 4 or 5 watts, therefore IMHO it is the lack of ventilation that causes this problem. To rectify it would require that a good heatsink of some sort be installed.

Please don't do this mod to your Sea-Swirl if its still under the manufacturer's warranty. :wink:

goofyreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my sea swirl part and the support bracket is made out of plastic/acrylic. Replacing it with aluminum as a heat sink would probably be a good idea. the sea swirl I have was made in 1999 and i was wondering if the newer units had vents on the back of the unit like the one i have. I ask since i never notice them in any pictures. By the by it amazes me how simple the SS is.

Cresta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The surplus motor Reefvan mentioned is sold out.....

Borecki mentioned Hansen motors....according to their website, those motors has "212 mN-m (30 in.- oz.) output or 639 mN-m (90 in.- oz.) of static torque". If I'm not mistaken, that's about 1.88 lbs of torque. I think I'll need more torque than that.

I picked up two Hurst geared synchronous motor from Grainger. They are rated at 150 oz/in. or 9.38 lbs of torque. However, at $54.30 each, I'm hoping I can find something similar elsewhere.

Does anyone else know of a source for strong motors? Even 2 rpm are fine....as long as they are cheaper......

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: