• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

desertfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Material list:
18gal. tall glass tank from Petco $31.00; 4" PVC cleanout adapter(slip not threaded) from Home Depot(HD) $4.90; 4" wingnut test plug from local plumbing supply store $8.00; scrap plexieglass cut to size for top of tank from HD $1.30; two 1/2 PVC female adapters from HD $.90; two 3/8 nylon barbed adapters with 1/2 male threaded ends from HD $2.58; 1/2 PVC cap from HD $.35; 1/2 PVC pipe from HD $.78; two small metal clamps from HD $.85; 20ft length of 3/8 I.D. x 1/2 O.D. tubing from HD $2.78; 5oz tube of Weld-On #16 arcrylic cement from local plastic shop $3.75; 3/8 plactic wire claps from electrical dept. HD $1.20;
1st use a 4" circle saw to make a 4" hole in the plexieglass. Go to the nurce website to get an idea of where to make all your holes. Then use a dremel tool or a file to widen the hole so the 4" PVC cleanout apt. fits snug in the hole. Then use a 1 1/8" circle saw to make two holes in the plexieglass for your air-line and water-line. Remember to use the Nurce website as a guide for your holes. The 1/2 PVC female adapters will fit snug in these holes. Next take your 1/2 adapters and start threading the 3/8 barbed nylon adapters in. before you tighten them down apply the Weld-On #16 to the threads then tighten down with a wrench, then apply the Weld-On #16 one more time to the threads to assure an air tight seal. Then insert the 1/2 adapters and the 4" cleanout adapter in the holes of the plexiglass top. Place on top of the tank then apply a generous amount of Weld-ON #16 between the PVC fittings and the plexieglass. Let set for a couple of hours then reapply another coat to assure an air tight seal. Let it set for a couple of hours then flip the plexieglass over and repeat the procedure to the bottom where the PVC fittings touch the plexieglass. Next when everything is dry flip the plexieglass back over then measure how long you need to cut the 1/2 PVC pipe that will go from your 1/2 PVC female adapter (water-line) to the bottom of the tank. Make your cut a little long. Glue the 1/2 PVC cap on one end of the 1/2 PVC pipe you cut with PVC cement. Then insert the 1/2 PVC pipe in the 1/2 PVC Female adapter (water line). Cut the pipe until it fits just right. Then before you glue it in drill a 5/8 hole all the way through the 1/2 pipe just above the 1/2 cap. This will keep the Kalk sedament from getting in your tank if you plan on dosing with Kalk. Now your ready to seal the plexieglass to the tank. Apply a generous amount of Weld-On #16 all around the top of the tank then place the plexieglass on and weigh it down with something while you let it dry for 24 hours. After its dry stick your arm through the 4" cleanout adapter two clean out the dried up Weld-On that dripped to the bottom of the tank. Fill with water, insert the 4" wingnut test plug into the 4" cleanout adapter tighten it and your ready to test it. Go to the web site or email me and I'll call you or email you back on how to test it. One more thing you'll have to make somekind of clap so you can clap the air and water lines to your sump or tank. I used an adjustable powerhead clap I had. Glued a small piece of plexieglass to it and screwd 3/8 plastic wire clamps into it to hold the lines. Total cost $58.39 for 18gal DIY Nurce vs. $163.00 plus shipping for a 16gal Nurce.
David

desertfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a digital camera,but I can probaly borrow one. I do have a scanner. Is it possible to scan pitures and put them on this website. If it is, let me know and I'll do it.
David

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, posting a scanned picture is the same. It is a file as the digital camera file would be. Let us see it because to me personally this sounds very appealing. :D

desertfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been away from the forum for awhile. My DIY nurce is still up and running without no problems. I still need someone to explain to me how to get my pictures on this web site using my scanner.
David

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scan it in, resize to a decent size for viewing, save as a .jpg or .gif. Then come here, create a new post and below the text box that you type your message in, click on the [Browse...] button to find your image on your hard drive, and then click on [Add Attachment]. Finish typing your text into the text box and then hit [Submit]. Viola! you're done. :)

Shane

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18gal. tall glass tank from Petco $31.00; 4" PVC cleanout adapter(slip not threaded) from Home Depot(HD) $4.90; 4" wingnut test plug from local plumbing supply store $8.00; scrap plexieglass cut to size for top of tank from HD $1.30

Almost sounds like a mastercard commercial

desertfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of the nurce.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 946
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 944
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 952

desertfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a automatic water top off system that uses a siphon. Whats real nice about them, there is no float valve to get stuck or any mechanical parts to get clogged and power outages do not effect them. They are also very low maintenance, just fill up with RO water and Kalk and with mine it last about two weeks before I have to refill it. WWW.aqualan.com is the web site for the company that makes Nurces commercially.
David

Poor Man

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the last ones they made, the thing is awesome. You cant get them anymore as far as I know. I could leave up to 9 days without worrying about water loss.

Very cool that you found the top cap fixture. I've often wondered where to get it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: