• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

triggakilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get some glass cut tommorow for the top of my tank, to control salt spray and evaporation. Do I need to ask for a certain type of glass? I'm basically concerned about light loss...I'm running VHO. Thanks

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular glass is fine. Ask them to sand the edges round to prevent cuts. After you get home, apply a coat of saran wrap on the underside of the glass top to act as a shield from salt sprays. When the saran wrap looked dirty, peel it off and apply another coat.

S

sdmarriott

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to shat I've read, it is better to leave the tank uncovered as it increases evaporation and thereby helps keep the tank cooler. I used to have my tank covered but got tired of cleaning the salt creep off. Besides, the glass filters out some of the light that we work so hard to provide. JMO

triggakilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks danmhippo,I'll try the saran wrap thing. I was worried that I might get a glass that has some UV blocking coating on it that might cut back on the available light as sdmarriott suggests. My tank is built into the wall in my sons room and is accessable from a closet on the other side of the wall , this is why I want to control evaporation and spray.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: