• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gal with a csl 2 96 watt pc complete hood,Im trying to find a way to add more light.Im at 3.8 watts per gallon and i want to get to about 5 or 6.There is some room on the back of the tank,but the problem is i have to go around the the csl hood i already have. Any suggestions?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, ignore the watts per gallon measurement, its an outdated method of determining lighting requirements. Second, what animals are you aiming to keep? That will determine light needs.

As for including more light, I haven't actually seen the inside of the premade hoods, so I don't know what kind of space you actually have. One option would be to build a custom hood "base" that raises the hood up off of the tank and allows you to include some retrofit kits with more lights....

Wade

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wade thanks for responding,I currently keep soft corals and a clam and want to get more clams.(i love em) I have some space on the rear top of the tank. Would it help if i put an ro florecent fixture i have on the back(60 watts)?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More watts is always better with clams, in general they and some of the acropora species require the absolute most light of all the reef creatures we keep. Adding another light certainly will help the clam out. Be careful when acquiring more though, you may not be able to keep them long term with that setup.

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: