• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got the tank from my friend. I have decided to take his sump/ filter system and modify my larger (55 gal) tank. So my questions are...

1. How many over flows 1 or 2. I would place 1 larger one in the center of the tank. Or have 2, one in each corner of the tank.

2. I have a glass tank, so I take it that the overflows should be made out of glass as well, right?

3. How big do the overflows have to be?

4. I assume that silicone should be used to seal everything.

5. How do I put a hole in glass. Drill?

6. Does shape matter, I was thinking about making triangle shaped in stead of square.

7. Has anyone done this before that can offer any helpful "don't do this" or "this is a good idea, I wish I'd a though of it before I did the overflows.

Thanks,

Ryan

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ducman996":3g9pghes said:
Well I just got the tank from my friend. I have decided to take his sump/ filter system and modify my larger (55 gal) tank. So my questions are...

1. How many over flows 1 or 2. I would place 1 larger one in the center of the tank. Or have 2, one in each corner of the tank.

It's really personal preference depending on how you want to set everything up. Think about what you want to do for returns and/or other circulation devices. Personally, I'd do one center overflow.

2. I have a glass tank, so I take it that the overflows should be made out of glass as well, right?

No, they don't have to be. I'd use black acrylic. I used clear acrylic for one I made for a 50 gallon tank because I had it laying around, and cleaning algae out of it is a bit of a pain.

3. How big do the overflows have to be?

Depends on what kind of volume you want put through it. I'd go with a 1.5" drain.

4. I assume that silicone should be used to seal everything.

Sure. If you need a large tube, you can use GE Type I silicone. I wouldn't use Type II.

5. How do I put a hole in glass. Drill?

Yes, there are special bits made for glass drilling. The bits are pricey, so if you only need the one hole, you might be better off just taking it to a glass shop or LFS that can drill it for you. If you want to drill it yourself, do a search on the board here - that topic has come up quite a bit.

BTW, keep in mind that the hole will have to be larger than the drain you're going to use to accomodate the bulkhead. For example you'll need a 1.75" hole for some 1" bulkheads, and a 2.5" hole for some 1.5" bulkheads...

6. Does shape matter, I was thinking about making triangle shaped in stead of square.

Can't think of a reason that wouldn't work...

7. Has anyone done this before that can offer any helpful "don't do this" or "this is a good idea, I wish I'd a though of it before I did the overflows.

If you do some searches on overflows, I think you'll find some good information and pictures here on the board. This thread contains a pic of an overflow I built for a 50 gallon using a modified version of Rich Durso's standpipe design (very quiet). You may also want to consider drilling lower on the back glass, or through the bottom (if it's not tempered).

Good luck with it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: