• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

AgentSPS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking to try something new this time around. I am having a custom Lee-Mar tank made with the dimensions 30X24X24. So as you can see, I will need to keep the rock structure somewhat narrow and very tall (16-18 inches high). I would like to try and leave some space between the rock and the sidewalls (at least one sidewall) if I can. My initial idea was to create a frame which had a rather steep incline in from and tapered off to a plateau at the top. The rock would be flat at the top where I could mount a bunch of SPS stonies. The plans have been forced to change somewhat because some of the rock I received is too large (1.5 by 1 foot). So now I am thinking of just ditching the premade frame idea and using 1/4 inch thickness plexi strips with holes drilled in them to allow zip ties to strap the rocks to them. Maybe I could silicone a pair of predrilled plexi strips to the back of the tank to serve as anchors for the rock. My hope is that this will add strength to the structure and allow for a more open structure (no base rock).
I want to know what other peoples experience is with framing and what tips you might have for me.

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my idea for something similar was a little bit less complicatied. i was thinking that i would drill holes inthe live rock and then insert legnths of pvc or other rigid airlines. and then covering the piecies of pipe w/ small pieces of lr.
using your idea;
why not zip tie the rocks directly to each other(no plexi)?
BB

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem creating an open, generally vertical rock structure by using live rock only. Start by placing some small to medium size rocks on the bottom of the tank. Space these base rocks so that each of the larger rocks will span between 3 of the smaller rocks below (or between 2 base rocks and the back wall of the tank). In other words, you want to avoid placing one rock directly on top of another rock. You only want to have the corners/edges of each successive layer of rocks resting on the layer below. Use the same procedure as you buils upwards. You should end up with a very open and stable struture. You can also reinforce the structure by adding putty between a few key joints.

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set up an overhang on the right side of my tank so i could have sps closer to my MH and PC lights. used 1/2pvc with a base as you can see from the first pic. i ziptied a nice size of live rock to the center brace and from their, drilled holes in 3 pieces of live rock and used various zipties to attach to the main rock. this pic only has 3 rocks attached, but i added three or four more to bring out the ledge more. pic 2 is the overhang with some sps i just got 2 weeks ago. the bottom of the tank is a little more cluttered than i prefer, so it is difficult to see the overhang clearly. as soon as i sell some stuff, it will look much cleaner. pic 3 is just a closer look. just got this camera, so sorry the pics are not that good.

if you are interested in more detailed plans, let me know, just wanted to show you a different idea that has worked for me.

Attachments

• overhang.jpg
    overhang.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,032

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as soon as i can figure out how to take decent pictures with this digital Elph camera i will post some more. glad you like the setup. chris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: