• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for proper material to form into a reflector. I don't want to purchase one. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of those cheap back-of-door mirrors from wal-mart?
They run about $6, and will pop out of the frames real easy.
I was thinking about using one in my DIY hood. They are 4 feet long already, so all i would have to do is use mounting bracketts to secure it.
what do you think?
I will already be using URI VHO bulbs with internal reflectors.

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flashing from Home depot on the canopy for my 75 gallon. I cut it to fit the entire underside of the hood and used small stainless screws to keep it in place. Seems to work well and reflects very well. It was very cheap, under $10 for sure for everything ( I don't remember the exact amount). I didn't want to use a mirror because they are heavier and harder to secure and could possibly break. Also the flashing does not get hot, the mirror may get hot and hold in heat more in the canopy. If you want I belive I have a picture of what it looked like after wards with and without the lights on somewhere.

HTH

LB 8)

Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks steve,

I had used polished sheet metal on my 29, but it took forever to get the surface polished to a fine, bright shine. I was using a curcular sander and different sized grit and a buffer-head and finally worked down to graphite. It sure did shine like a mirror though.

Too much work for a piece 4 X 2 though...

Sounds like mylar may be the way to go.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing Dewman, if you buy that role of mylar I posted you will probably have enough left over to do all the tanks in your town :lol: .
Steve

Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I can find it around here in a more manageable length.

Since my bulbs are URI and have an internal reflector, how much extra light will I get from this?

By the way, what are the criteria for moving a thread?? I posted this weeks ago in another forum... not that I'm complaining :D
I got the answers I needed.

Big_fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any of you use Mylar as a reflective surface for MH's? I have bought aluminum to bend into parabolic reflectors and have been slowly (and painfully) polishing it into a mirror finish. Covering it with mylar would be an awesome alternative. My only concern is how well it would stand up to the heat.

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: