• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on what would be the best choice for wood type for a diy canopy/stand. I'm fairly handy with tools, but I've never built a stand, so don't know what would make the most durable and most attractive.

Thx!

John

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats mostly a personal preference... you can use any type of wood (well almost) so long as you treat/protect it sufficiently. A good quality pine works well (done that), oak (helped a friend to build a whole setup with it), basically anything...

Just make certain that you protect the wood very well to keep moisture from doing damage to it. If you use a high quality plywood (which can also be done) it will more than likely need to be refinished (at least a canopy) every couple of years on the inside.

I would suggest going to a good lumber store and seeing whats available. Go with what you like and what would look good in your house.

Wade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that's about what I figured. What's the best way to protect it, then? I've refinished the inside of my canopy a couple times with Krylon spray-on laquer and have been moderately pleased with it. It still doesn't seem entirely water-resistant, though. Is the best way to go just several coats of polyurethane?

-jjw

VPWoodwork1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a polyurathane you will be fine. Even if you do a single coat it will last more than one year. as long as you let it dry well, like 36 hrs. This will let it cure to a nice solid finish. Do not use press board for any of the stand or canopy. As for woods, use what you like best.

Glenn
www.aquarium-stands.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: