• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alti1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST FINISHED MY FIRST DIY PROJECT. I MADE A CANOPY FOR MY 90 GALLON TANK. MY QUESTION IS, HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE STAIN AND VARNISH TO DRY? IT HAS BEEN DRYING FOR 48 HOURS AND IT STILL SMELLS.THIS IS MY FIRST WOOD PROJECT SINCE HIGH SCHOOL AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS SMELL LINGERS OR IF IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO AWAY FAST. IM NOT EVEN SURE IF IT IS BAD FOR THE FISH, BUT I AM NOT PUTTING ANYTHING INTO OR ONTO MY TANK UNTIL I KNOW IT IS SAFE. IM PROBABLY JUST PARANOID, BUT I HATE TO KILL MY FISH BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE THE PATIENCE FOR THE CANOPY TO DRY.

SteveP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have patience you're in the wrong hobby! :lol: Give it another day to be safe. A fan would help harden everything too.

Steve
8{I

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, turn off the cap locks. Your hurting my ears! All Caps are for screaming at people. :P

If I remember correctly, I had to wait 24 hours between coats, then I brought it (the canopy) in the house the next day. The smell wasn't too strong at that time.

HTH

Louey

dsb1829

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really varies brand to brand. I have used varnish/stain combos that take over 2 days to cure. Most varnishes will only take about 6 hours to dry fully. However they may emit odor for another couple days.

ttt...

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things come to mind:

1: Did you wipe off the excess when you initially applied the stain/varnish? If not, that could be the reason.

2: Where are you drying it out (example, here in MN if you tried to dry it out in a garage right now, it would take weeks due to the constant high humidity). Make sure the area your drying in is relatively dry, with air circulation.

3: I would definetely wait until no smell could be detected, as long as fumes are present, they could permeate into the water; at worst, you lose all fish, at best, you get massive hair algae battle.

4: patience, patience, patience.

HTH, FWIW, IMHO

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: