• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Registration is colsing in 2 weeks. The earlier you register for the course the longer you can look for the parts needed.

cybershark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ther going to be a dual chamber option or is the class set up for just doing a single chamber reactor.

Tanks
Russ

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The techniques you will learn will enable you to build a second chamber. but I will defer to fergy on confirmation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we get access to the tools we need to work the plastics, or are these purchase items?

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you purchase the tools. I only provide the templates to use with a router. You'll need a router and router table, plus the other stuff listed on the materials list.

BRIAN

agiacosa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy,

The recommended router/table from Home Depot and Lowe's includes a 1/4 router. I had heard that a 1/2 inch router should be used with acrylics.

I'm about to purchase one. Should I go for the larger one or is that just wasted money?

Thanks.

Art

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a matter of speed and horsepower. I don't know who told you you needed a 1/2" router, but in some ways he was correct, and in some ways incorrect. The bits we'll be using in this course are 1/4" shank, so it doesn't really matter. However, if you want, you can also use a 1/2" flush trim bit for some of this project. But, you don't need one for this.

For large projects, the larger in diameter the router bit is, the better it is for prepping the edges of the material. When I make a tank, I prep the edges of the sheets with a 1-1/8" bit. I know another manufacturer who uses even larger ones. It gives you a really nice edge finish, for gluing.

I recommended those routers as a matter of expense, since they are very cheap. I think of those as disposable. If you enjoy this project, and plan to work alot with acrylic in the future, you'll probably wind up replacing it with a big router over time, anyway.

BRIAN

Snowman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian

Sure this is a stupid question to post... even though I realize that the end result of the reactor depends on the quality of the individuals production, how would you rate this reactor to purchased reactors? ie. can you or will you post what this compares against on the market? I would be using this reactor with 90 RR setup. I have been a cabinet maker and interior trim carpenter for 13 years. Have tools most would in my opinion die for but all the expensive tools in the world won't make a ? design work well. Now that I have willingly put the ol'neck in the noose, Im really not trying to get off on a bad foot just wanting to make a good decision. How about operating inst.? Is feed back from past builders of said reactor available?
:D What else could I say to sound like an a..? Really I'm a good guy looking for a fun project and no I don't have any experience with reef tanks. Snowman

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you rate this reactor to purchased reactors? ie. can you or will you post what this compares against on the market?

Again, the purpose of the course is to teach acrylic fabrication, not reactor design. However, that being said, the overall quality of the project we are going to work on will be excellent. There are hundreds of reactor designs on the web, and anyone can make their own with little more than a hammer and some glue, if that's what they want. The goal is to teach people how to do quality work, instead of the usual stuff we see, including many of the commercial products out there. Students of the course will be able to see for themselves how their product differs from the commercial stuff after a quick visit to their LFS.

There are several of these reactors out there. Harbor Aquatics has one running right now, on their coral system. The design has been being modified over the years, and although the one being produced in the class is slightly different than the ones I sell, for obvious reasons, it's a very sound design.

I have been a cabinet maker and interior trim carpenter for 13 years.

As a finish carp and cabinetmaker, then I'm sure you are quite aware of what I'm saying, regarding quality of workmanship. I bet you choke when you walk into any place selling RTA furniture, or any of the mass-produced stuff. Quite a difference, eh?

tools most would in my opinion die for but all the expensive tools in the world won't make a ? design work well

From your experience, it sounds like you'll pick this up in no time. The techniques are similar, just different feed rates and materials properties. Like the diffences between milling pine vs oak vs Corian.

I'll give plenty of operating instructions for this, and how many other manufacturers out there are here on the forums, where you can directly talk with them for tech support after the project? ;-) There is no feedback from previous builders of the reactor, other than mine, since we have not offered this course before. I don't think many other manufacturers would want to teach their fabrication techniques. I do this on the side, so I'm not really concerned about it.

BRIAN

Snowman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian

Thanks for the Promt post. To all reading, again I'am sorry for the nature of my original post. Sign me up. I'll get in this evening. My hat is off to you for the time and efforts you spend as a mentor and instructor. Will be looking forward to the project. Thanks Snowman :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: