• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MDboyz

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have build an overflow system for my 75 gal. It have 2 1-inch siphon pipes and 1 1-inch return pipe. I also did the Durso stand pipe. However, the flow rate doesn't seem to be a constant speed. Sometimes, it goes fast.. sometimes it goes slow.. Anyone knows what I have done wrong?.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal or external overflows? Any picture you might have would be helpful. A be a bit more detailed on the issue. We talking about the water level in the overflow chamber?

MDboyz

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a home DIY overflow. I wish I have the camera to take the picture. It is the hangon overflow system.

Kristen Marie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i'm going to go out on a limb here and make a few assumptions since you have failed to provide enough detail for me to work with here. I also have a DIY overflow system that works flawlessly. My system is a hang on overflow like you described. there is an overflow cup that sits at the water level in the tank. the back part, or the part outside of the aquarium is basically a big box that has two chambers. one chamber holds water so that the siphon is able to start, the other chamber is the second chamber that the water overflows into. in this second chamber i have drilled two holes and attached pipe to drain the water into the sump. my return pump is a rio 2500 capable of about 650 gallons/hr if i did the math correctly in my head.

going back up top, i have two one inch pieces of PVC that i have jointed into "U" shapes. obvioulsy they have to be turned over for the siphon to work but you get my gist. at the back joint i have drilled two small holes and attached small aquarium airline tubing to an in-tank pump that otherwise just gets used for current. when the system is turned on, the pump in the tank begins to draw air from the two U shaped pipes, until eventually the air in the pipes is exhausted and water begins to siphon out of the overflow and down into the sump. crank up the flow on the in-sump pump and the siphon sucks harder.

simple setup, works well for me.

maybe somday i'll be able to afford and/or be rich enough to drill a tank on my own and not worry about ruining it. :)

MDboyz

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right. I have double checked on my overflow system. I realized that I have the standpipe return is like only couple inches.. below the water line (in the main tank)...

I think I will need to redone it this weekend.
Thankz for all your helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: