• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have is an external pump, LifeReef double overflow, and numerous bulkheads.

What I need is plumb it to a sump.

I would really like to set up a refugium too, above the tank on top of an armoire.

Problem - rubbermaid sumps are flexible, I can get about a 95% + seal, but it's 100% or nothing.

I don't have a lot of cash - an acrylic tank that can be drilled is about $50.

Glass tanks are cheaper, but I don't want to buy a diamond drill bit for this. Glass places don't insure drilling.

Should I buy a hard plastic cooler?

Inexpensive solutions are what I seek.

Advice?

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Glass sump can be used without any drilling. Just connect the external pump to the sump via a "U" pipe or whatever your creativity brings you. Problem solved?

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come I'm not a plumber?

Physics defies me.

I could just elevate the pump, let the tube hang down directly into the bottom of a flass tank, and be golden, huh?

Provided I don't use a sand bed and stick with live rock, I am good to go.

Wish my brain worked as well as yours.

College parties took their toll on me.

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
If you put the pump below the water line in the sump, and use a "U" (aka siphon) tube to connect to it, you will have to only prime the pump when it first setup, instead of everytime when you power your pump off. This setup also will work even if you have sand in the sump. Just elevate the intake of the tub high enough so that it does not suck in any sand.

Wish my brain worked as well as yours.

Read my other posts, and you will have more reservation about this :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: