• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

odysseysteve

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g that is destine to become a reef tank. How do I determine if the bottom or any other pane is made of tempered glass?

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hit it with a hammer and if it cracks and splinters everywhere it is tempered :twisted: ...

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Ditto Enzo's advice. I was going to say, just start drilling... if it shatters into a million pieces, then it was tempered :D

- Mac

Adam1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I don't know the details, but there is a way to tell using polarized or defraction grating viewing material and special light.

Internal stresses in un-tempered glass have distinctive patterns compared to the less internally stressed tempered glass.

Check with a local glass fab place, maybe they can help.

Adam

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass will have a small decal in one of the corners, like on your car window. Temepered glass is made with stress between the center and surface of the glass causing it to shatter when hit (fr safety) I doubt that many aquariums have tempered glass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e-mailed oceanic about that when I got a used 110 gallon and they told me that you would have to special order a tank with tempered glass,that's from them anyway.hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that many aquariums have tempered glass.
actually many do - AGA(All Glass Aquariums) 37, 38, 40-65 gallon, 20-60 gal hex, and all their corner and bow front tanks have tempered bottoms.(info from their own website)
My 75 gallon AGA has the tempered bottom do not drill sticker on it.[/quote]

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AGA 29 is tempered, where did you get that Idea? n I don't think I have ever seen an untempered aquarium...

fishguru

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont know where you were told that, but an AGA 29 does not have tempered bottom. Is the tank old, I think they use to make them tempered about 7 years ago-Guru

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a thought, but if only the bottom is tempered drill the back glass piece and put a L style bulk head on it. I dont know if only the bottom is tempered normaly though.
JJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: