• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Nano-Neophyte

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together a 120G reef and am lucky enough to have a closet nearby that I can use to house various hardware. This closet is actually for my water main/meter and street sewer access.

MY QUESTION

I'd like to use this closet to house my RODI unit and tanks for topoff and water changes. 1) Can I use the the this sewer drain access for RODI waste water - that is, drill a hole in the cap and run my hose into the drain and seal carefully. And 2) Can I do the same with pumped out water change water?

Drainquestion.jpg

Now I know that this will probably violate some code .. but can it be done? Will it work? What of sewer gases? :?: What if I make a loop in the drain hose to block gases? Any thoughts? Is this a crazy idea? You have to admit that it sure would be convenient. :D

Thanks!

mikey98

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a code problem I don't know. I would not think there would be a problem because I used to have a soft water system that flushed into the sewer system. That sewer clean out goes to the same place as your sink so if you can dump it in your sink you can put it in the clean out. However you do need to be sure you have some kind of trap as you mentioned. You must have a low spot that will be full of water at all times or the gas will get into your closet. And that situation would stink! I would say as long as you don't advertise you are doing it, and be sure to return it to original condition when or if you ever have to have an inspection, go for it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: