• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kjjoseph74

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question,

I have a 75 gallon tank with a glass top and pine canopy ontop of it. I am going to install an Ice Cap 660 with 4X110W lamps. I was told that it gets very hot and so I will eventually want to take off the glass to allow better circulation. Question #1: Is that true, will I probably have to take off glass top

I was also told that if I do take off the glass top, then I will want to have the inside of the canopy polyurethaned for 'preservation.' Question #2: What polyurethane do you recommend which will not spark fire under the amount of heat created under the hood?

I would prefer to keep the glass onto of the tank to lessen evaporative loses and reduce the risk of water hitting bulbs and breaking them.

thanks for your help,
KJ

ChaoticReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the glass needs to come off.

As for the polyurethane, I would not worry about it catching on fire once it dries. I can't quite remember what sealer I used, but its made for marine boats.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1: Take the glass top off. This will help with gas exchange and evaporative cooling in your tank.

#2: Most people use a spar urethane for applications like this. If you hit your local hardware store, it should say directly on the can that it's spar urethane.

hth

Shane

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: