• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jeff_S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 40 gal bait well I want to use as a sump. I need to add some baffles. What type of silicone (or other material) can be used for this. Home depot has a GE silicone 2 for kitchen & bath. Is this safe to use?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOpe. Try a search. You will find all the answers you want, young jedi. Try algicide, fungicides, ect in your search.

(even most 100% silicone's aren't. they are 99.999992% or something like that, with all the additives.)

Brett

royy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Home Depot sells a silicone made for aquarium use. They keep it by the other silicone's and glues. At least this is true in the HDs near me.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read thru the ingredients list on the packaging, you should be able to tell if there are fungicides, etc in the list. I would specifically get the kind made for aquarium use though as the solvents are not as toxic and it doesn't leach or break down with time.

Wade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are ALL safe. Use whatever is the cheapest. Long live ling cod!

bee2isme

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what it makes the silicon safe or not safe? What would you look for as in ingredientsbesides 100% silicon? once it's cured shouldn't all the toxic solvants have evaporated? I know that there are products out that has been processed under certain standards. These stardards determine whether or not it's would be "safe" for human consumption , animals, plants, etc. It could be all the same ingredients but how it was handled and inspected determines what it was graded for use in. I've used the Aquarium stuff and the GE silicon and never hand any adverse reactions or anything happen each time I did. The warning on the GE stuff is just because it was not manufactured and prepared under the strict guide lines meet that qualifies it to label use as okay for animals, etc. Just like the last guy says, "It's all good" and let it cure per directions before putting it into use.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: