• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those of you who have 250W HQI DIY setups would you mind sharing your setups. I know some of you have already been gracious enough to do so several months ago when I posted a similar request. I just purchased 2 ICECAP 250W HQI ballasts, and 2 AB 10K DE bulbs. I have seen setups with an entire piece of glass covering the hood. I was actually thinking of doing the following to cut down on cost, work load, and weight that comes with a sheet of glass.

If anyone is familiar with UV sterilizers I would be using something similar to a quartz tube except it would be regular glass to block the uv. I would measure the distance from bulbs end to end that are not free standing (not clicked into the socket/holder). The I would just a piece of cylindrical glass to the same size and use a custom made holder to hold the piece of glass over the HQI bulb. There would be some unfiltered light coming out from the ends but that is minimal . In effect Im creating the same type of glass sheath that one finds over Mogul bulbs! If this goes well we can name the mod after me =P

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/at ... tid=678395

Also .. where can I purchase the 250W DE sockets with the metal spacer/brace in the middle? Hello lights has em for $20. I need about 5 - 8 of em. Are there any cheaper sources?? Thanks for all the help guys !

henkelsfamily1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe only question that I have with your idea is that the DE bulbs need to be run hot. You can not have air circulation around them. I did the Home Depot DIY using outside quartz fixtures retofitted for the lamp holders. Please post pictures when you are done.

Walter

Solarreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find the stuff at lampsnow.com . I am also interested in DE HIDs and would like to see other set ups as well
nils

faztaz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Walter I had thought of that and I came up with two ideas. Since the tube is so close to the bulb there will be a lot of heat around the bulb. If leaving the ends of the tube open prevents to the bulb from reaching the proper operating temp then I can just close them off with some plastic caps or something similar.

henkelsfamily1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic caps are going to melt. If you go with BakeLight caps they will eventually get very brittle. The bulbs also have a small vent nipple that points down when in the holder. This nipple (I love saying nipple) is about 2mm. You will need to question what type/ how big of an evironment is needed for this vent. Please keep me posted.

Regards

Walter

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get a deal on the sockets if you buy at least 12, these have to be purchased in lots of 25 from the German mfg, so half of Hellolights order should earn you a discount.
The glass tube you need is made of borosilicate, same material as scientific grade Pyrex. An online electronics wholesaler had some a while back for cheap, however, they were too small and could only be used with the 70w mh-de bulbs.
HTH, Bill.

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics

Attachments

• pa100003.jpg
    pa100003.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,523

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 rear, the mounting bracket was mangled so it could be hung from a ladder for temporary holding tank lighting.

Attachments

• pa100007.jpg
    pa100007.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,518

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: