• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bstruss

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon with a bakpak protein skimmer but am going to be upgrading to a 75 or 125. I am looking for some "very basic" plans for a sump (of course incorporating a skimmer). I have not found any good basic illustrated plans on the web that shows the big picture with different arangement options, plumbing, etc. Maybe what I need is a good book that is heavier on the DIY with illustrations than just simply theory. An option with a sump incorporating a refugium would be nice also.

Thanks for any references or links to relevant web resources--

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this (from http://www.inlandreef.com/diy.html )?

plumbing.gif

plumbing_dual.gif

refugium_plumb.gif

HTH

Shane

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you upsize the suction side of the pipe a little. If the pump is 3/4 inch then 1 inch or 1.5 inch on the suction side... will reduce friction and the larger bulkhead strainers will not reduce water flow into the pump like a 3/4 inch strainer would.

It wouldn't hurt to upsize the pipe on the output side as well. Keep the pipe upsized as long as possible and then reduce just before the bulkhead. Again reduces friction and you should get a few more GPH by doing it.

gr_reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WOULD SUGGEST NOT PLUMBING YOUR REFUGIUM THIS WAY. I FOLLOWED THIS METHOD OG PLUMBING AND IT DID NOT WORK. THE WATER COMMING FROM THE OVERFLOW RUSHES PAST THE 'T' TO THE REFUGIUM TOO FAST AND DOES NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH FLOW IN THE REFUGIUM. I PUT A SMALL RIO POWERHEAD IN THE OVERFLOW TO SEND WATER TO THE REFUGIUM VIA FLEXABLE VINYL TUBING. I HAVE FOUND THIS WORKS BEST, AND HAVE SEEN IMPROVED GROWTH IN THE REFUGIUM SINCE MAKING THIS CHANGE.

bstruss

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the excellent diagram and feedback. From the perspective of the image, why is the sump so large compared to the refugium? I would have thought it the other way around. Isn't the primary purpose of the sump as a space to place the skimmer? I guess I'm still not clear on some of the theory.

Bailey--

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: