• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

linuxpng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a small reef (55 gal) right now and am working on the money for a bigger tank. Is anyone willing to diagram how you could, in theory, construct a sump to contain a refugium? I have zero knowledge of sump design and plumbing. I will be taking the design to a fish store to have it constructed for me and hopefully learn in the process. Thanks ahead of time.

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to save money for a larger tank, I'd hold off on getting/building a refugium for your existing one (unless you're a couple years away from that new one).

That being said.... The design idea is fairly simple. Consider a sump... is really nothing more than a container for some water, w/ hopefully a few baffles in it, and the water flows from one end (where it is received from the tank), to the other (where it is pumped back to the tank).
Following me so far?

Somewhere in between those two area's, you want a couple baffles, and there's your refugium!

| Input | refuge | Output |
|______|_________|__________|

That's really all there is to it. You can get crazy, and do all sorts of things, but that's a little more involved, and like I said, if I was moving to a bigger tank, I wouldn 't waste any more money upgrading my existing one.

I speak from experience there as well (not to change the topic or anything, but...) Built a new hood for my 90-reef, and when it was almost finished, the Mrs. told me I could get a bigger tank! Know anyone that wants a never-used, brand new DIY hood for a 90 gallon?

- Mac

linuxpng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok that the stuff in the 'fuge is subject to so much water flow? I was concerned that since the main pump will be turning over the tank 6+ times an hour that the water flow would be to high for the 'fuge inhabitants. Thanks for the help.

aliendomain

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
linuxpng,
I think that you may have too much flow through refugium, you should look into a way to divert some of the water around it. Check out the design from another thread http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24038 . I think this is a great design. I have also seen some nice sumps with refugiums where the all the walls of the refugium are black acrylic accept for the one wall that faces the front, this one is clear. This keeps algae from growing in the other areas of the sump.
Hope this helps,
Aliendomain

krux

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your stand is tall enough, you can easily construct a fuge to sit above your main sump. by adding ashelf, or putting the fuge on supports, or by stacking it on top of your sump, you can tee off of your main return line with a t, then place a ball valve to restrict flow from the main return. have this dump into a fuge... rubbermaid is easiest which then by use of a bulkhead overflows back into the sump. the main downside to this set up is that your fuge is receiving skimmed water, which some people believe causes your macro algae to grow slower than unskimmed water, but for about 30 dollars, you can construct a very effective, easy to control flow-wise refugium under your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: