• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Henry M

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I going to build a new sump/refuge out of an old 55 gal tank, and need some feedback on my design. this will be under a 200 tank w/external return and dual inlet. the inlet to the refuge section will be reduced w/the majority of flow going to the section w/the skimmer. thanks in advance and please critique and don't hold back.

Thanks

Henry

Attachments

• sump-refuge.jpg
    sump-refuge.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,566
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan looks like it would work great!

What kind of lighting are you planning for the fuge?

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. You might want to add 1 more baffle after you final spill over into return pump chamber. Place it around 1" off last baffle, and around 6" tall. This will cause any lingering bubbles to go up also any bubbles caused by the overflow action. I found this really helps my sumps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96W pc should be fine. I have a 65W PC on my 20G refugium. With a 6" DSB, the marcos are fairly close to the light.

Louey

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got your sections truned around. You don't want your refugium overflowing into your skimmer compartment.

Jeff

Henry M

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after some discussion w/friends, they suggested not running skimmers at all. they have had their tanks w/o skimmers for about six months no problems. they said to expand the refuge and have plenty of calupera and that should do the trick. what do u think?

Henry

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like to use a skimmer. I don't think it would be a good idea to start a tank without one. You may be able to "ween" a mature, lightly loaded, tank off of a skimmer. But why?

Louey

drbdc

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting my sump/refugium up and from what I've studied, you don't want to skim your water from the refugium.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wickerj":3vvkbmc1 said:
You've got your sections truned around. You don't want your refugium overflowing into your skimmer compartment.

Jeff

Ditto that.. - Your skimmer will chop up / eat your pods.

And a skimmer really is a good idea... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Henry M":fny6ch9i said:
after some discussion w/friends, they suggested not running skimmers at all. they have had their tanks w/o skimmers for about six months no problems. they said to expand the refuge and have plenty of calupera and that should do the trick. what do u think?

Henry

I totally agree. I recommend caulpera profilera and especially chaeto.

Be sure to test and test and then test again. Make sure no floods occur when the power goes out and that normal operation resumes when power returns.

Have you thought about your overflow from the tank or is the tank drilled? With my 55g the syphon HOB overflow is the problem.

I also used an egg crate for an in tank refugium which has worked great and does not have the possible flooding problems. Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":2v8ka93q said:
wickerj":2v8ka93q said:

Jeff

Ditto that.. - Your skimmer will chop up / eat your pods.

And a skimmer really is a good idea... :wink:

double ditto. Besides, a refugium full of macros will capture a lot of bubbles from the skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: