• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

glaze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump space that accomodates 9" max front to back. Other dimensions can be about 20" wide by about 20" deep plus or minus.

The main tank is 38 gallons and I'd like about 10 gallons for sump.

Does 9x20x20 sound reasonable? I searched high and low for a wastebasket, food container, storage bin, etc. but no luck. Could I make that out of 5 pieces of acrylic? If so, what thickness?

I saw 0.25 sheets (28"x18", which should do) at Lowes for about $33, but I wanted to get some opinions before I waste a lot of time. THANKS!

Bubafat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...if you made it 9x20x20, it will be 13 gallon.

Yes you can make it out of 1/4 inch acrylic, but make sure you can actually get it into the stand before you make it...it would stink if you made it but couldn't get it into the stand.

Don't forget to add a few baffles, they do wonders at getting rid of bubbles from skimmers.

For the price you are paying for acrylic, if I were you, i'd see if I could find some estimates for premade custom jobbers, it might not be worth it making your own (it would cost $132 in acrylic alone, assuming you don't screw up :))

Buba

ErikS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the stuff @ Lowes is in fact .25. The HD in Wdbridge has the stuff listed as .25 when it's actually one size thinner (I forget the exact thickness). Of course you could always reinforce it with some strips.

Here's a link to one they sell @ Marine Depot (BS-1). I have it under my 38 & it works well. It's too big for you, but it might give you some ideas about baffle placement in a small sump. The water flow is over the 1st wall, under a divider in the middle section, & into the return area through that cutout. Works pretty well & keeping bubbles out of the main tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_fl_bs.asp?CartId=

Dumb Guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to plumb two small bathroom waste baskets together at the bottom with bulkheads and short piece of PVC. This might work as a decent baffle, esp. if you were to add a wall (probably out of acrylic) to the inside of the first one, so water flows up over wall then down to PVC into second container.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: