• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gcantu

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some help if any on how to build a canopy for my existing tank. I have a 65g Oceanic that is about 36" in length. I am not so good with wood, but am willing to try to build one with my dad's tools. What type of wood is best and does anyone have any sort of plans on how to construct one. Also, I am planning on purchasing an ICE CAP lighting system. What length of bulbs should I purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dattack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using 3/4" plywood, preferably oak plywood if you can afford it. About $45 for a 4ftx 8 ft sheet.

I have a custom tank that is 39" in length too. But it would be nice if you can make a canopy that flips up from the front and top. This will allow for elbow room for moving corals and rocks.

For the icecap, what are you getting? MH or VHOs?

http://home.pacbell.net/dattack/new_tank_2.JPG

JasonF

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine built this one for me. Should be the same size as your 65, it's on an Oceanic 58. The tank is 36" by 18".

Canopy

canopy2.jpg

Doors open

doors%2520open.jpg

Top open

top%2520open.jpg

Both doors and top open

wide%2520open.jpg

I realy like this design, as it matches the Oceanic stand. The ability to open the top and get in the front is convenient. I started with a 4 bulb VHO setup in it, but am now using a single 250watt MH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: