• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 29 gal, had it drilled up high for a 3/4 bulkhead and added a small internal overflow I built from acrylic and siliconed in place.

This is my first attempt at using an overflow and I am still trying to get it all fine-tuned. I have about a hundred questions for all you successful overflow users... but for now lets start with just a few..

1. Will a well tuned overflow system with a Durso remain stable ad infinitum? Or will it occasionally "flush", and then restabilize?

2. How often.. if at all.. does it need adjustment? (air intake, outflow, return flow.. etc)

3. Ive heard ppl say that adding a valve to restrict flow into the sump can help eliminate the big bubble burps... true??

4. Do the bubbles sucked into the fitting inside the overflow box eventually build up in the system?

5. I'm testing my system now with fresh water.. do you think any of the properties would change once I add saltwater to the tank/sump?

The first two questions are the big ones.. but if you can add any insight at all to any of them, I would be most grateful.. :)

Thanks..

-Devil

PS-- I will add more questions as they arise.. so please check back if you can help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrsydevi1":1uyi83ue said:
1. Will a well tuned overflow system with a Durso remain stable ad infinitum? Or will it occasionally "flush", and then restabilize?

No flushing in my system!

2. How often.. if at all.. does it need adjustment? (air intake, outflow, return flow.. etc)

Never. Well, I check it at least once a week to make sure the air intakes are not clogged, or the water intakes are not clogged.

3. Ive heard ppl say that adding a valve to restrict flow into the sump can help eliminate the big bubble burps... true??

Never done it, but it seems like a bad idea to me. A valve on the from tank line seems like a flood just waiting to happen.

4. Do the bubbles sucked into the fitting inside the overflow box eventually build up in the system?

Not really sure what you mean, but I have had no such problem.

5. I'm testing my system now with fresh water.. do you think any of the properties would change once I add saltwater to the tank/sump?

Nope!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: