• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Syris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of building a new hood for my 75g. I have a 7" high hood on there now that houses VHO, but I have finally upgraded to MH. The new hood is 12" made out of 1X2 pine for the frame and 1/2" plywood for outside. Construstion is almost done just need some trim pieces added. But before I do that I wanted to paint the inside white and stain the outside then polyurathane the whole thing.

My problem is I painted the inside white last night (1 coat so far) with oil based enamel. This morning the hood is slighlty warped now. And the door piece that was not attached yet (1/2" plywood) is very warped. What happened? :?:
For the door, I placed it on a flat surface with weights on top then misted the side that is still bare wood with water to starighten. I have done this before to straighten wood and believe it will work. But what about the rest of my hood?
Should I now stain the outside of my hood before finishing the inside white. Will this help to counter the warping on the hood?

Oh, by the way I have basic plans for this hood on Visio if anyone is interested. Just add you're own trim.

TIA

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Floyd420

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syris,

Sounds like a waterproofing problem to me, believe it or not paint sucks!
If you sand that paint off - you can put an absolutely waterproof and UV proof coating in its place. Stay away from paint, it's old technology and ultimately a temperary maintenance product.

Check out this site www.sanitred.com I've used these products many a times - for not only waterproofing. I've constructed my own bulkhead fittings/flanges out of their Quick Patch product.

That's what your problem has to be - if you think about it.
Good Luck :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flyod could be right how ever there are other reasons for the warping

Depending on the way its warped (In or Out) the problem is the moister in the paint what happens in you paint the wood and wood draws out moister from the paint and expands slighting, now along with that moister that paint seeps in with it and drys keeping the wood warped.

I am not too sure how to fix it (I usually just paint the other side also and it warps back to normal but thats because I use oil based stain)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: