• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have an AquaC EV180. I want to install a John Guest fitting. I called AquaC and they said i needed a 1/2 drill bit. and a small grinder to enlarge the hole a bit. and a 3/8 NPT tap set. they said i could also get the fitting from them..

do you guys have drill bit and tap set you recomend.

do you know were i can get a john guest fitting locally?

do you have any suggestions i should take into consideration....

thanks[/u]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the NPT tap, but you definately want a PLASTIC drill bit. a normal twist drill is ground at the wrong angle to -correctly- drill plastic. Somewhere I have the correct angles, but I can't seem to find the link right now.

You might also want to get the NPT tap first. Usually, they tell you what size hole to drill. Then buy the bit second. However, You may not find the correct bit that's angled for plastic. You may have to buy a twist and have it ground.

For the simple 1/4"-20 threads I put on my Fuge, I just heated a bolt and threaded it through the hole I drilled. You may get away with something like it. If you can find the same size fitting (in metal) as the Guest fitting, you may be able to heat it up and thread it in once you drill a 17/32" or a 9/16" hole. (try a practice run on scrap first!)

(I have used regular bits before. the holes weren't exactly perfect, but they worked. You just have to be real careful.)

HTH
B

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi LA,

do you know were i can get a john guest fitting locally?
I was so surprised the other day when I found JG "looking" fittings at Home Depot. The local store remodeled their plumbing fittings and I stumbled across a bunch of different sizes and styles there. They were all white. and packaged in individual plastic bags.

Good luck,
Hal

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: