• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Cresta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to increase the water turn-over rate to my 100g reef tank. The existing overflow is not capable of handling the amount of water returned.

I think I can either add a closed-loop or an additional overflow.

Closed-loop requires an additional pump that I try to avoid in order to save electricity and avoid tank drilling.

By adding an additional overflow, I meant something like a DIY U-tube using 3/4" PVC. It will be in the same draining level as the original overflow. Water will go over the tank, through the U-portion and drain down into the sump. If I install a bulkhead with screen instead, that'll will require tank drilling.

My questions is.... if the power goes out and this drain stops siphon, can anything be made to have it restart on its own?

Thanks in advance.

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two problems with your idea. First, you are better off buying another overflow. A DIY u tube is just asking for problems. You would need a powerhead hooked up to restart the siphon when power goes out.

Second if you don't add another pump to your wet/dry or sump you will not increase the water flow.

To get more water flow from an additional overflow you need more water going into the display tank

HTH

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll end up spending more time, money and headache trying to figure out a way to save $50. Buy a smaller return pump and use the larger pump you currenlty have on a closed loop setup. That's what I'm planning to do.
I currently have 2 HOB overflows and a mag 18 return and the noise from the overflows is loud even with Durso standpipes. I'm going to replace the 18 with a 7 and run the 18 on a closed loop and eliminate one of the overflows.

Jeff

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: