• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kdphillips

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a hood for my 75 gallon (4 VHO's). My questions are:
How far away from each other do the bulbs have to be?
How far away from the water do they have to be?
Can I use one fan or do I need two?

If any one has any plans they want to share, I'd love to see them.. Thanks!

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kim! If no one else has, I'd like to welcome you to reefs.org.

The issue of heat generation is considerable, but since you've opted for VHO and not metal halides it won't quite be as bad.

When I built my own hood I was cheap and used NO fluoros only. I set them about 8" high, heat was an issue because I decided to house the ballasts in the hood itself, so part of what I did to deal with the heat was to leave the back portion of the hood open.

You just want to make sure that the bulbs are not touching and that you allow yourself enough room to clean and replace them easily. Are they the standard 4' long bulbs? If so, then I would set them in something like a stair-step fashion, but you could set them in a more end-to-end fashion--this would leave areas of lower lighting and some folks prefer this. However, IIRC, a 75gal is usually 4' long, and then you'd just place the bulbs parallel to each other. I also suggest staggering addition of new bulbs so that when they have lived out their useful life you don't have to replace them all at once (this can indeed cause burns to animals accustomed to living under a lower light intensity). Kinda like tires, yeah?

If you're worried about heat buildup I'm a big fan of muffin fans. (That sounded really silly, didn't it?) Place one on each end, one pushing air in, one pushing air out. This will benefit gas exchange, but will also really increase evaporation.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have mine currently 5" above the water, but have had them as close as 2" from the surface (water-resistent end caps used, of course). Spacing isn't that important. If you can adequetely cool the tank (with fans/chiller), there's nothing wrong with cramming as many as you can in the canopy. I had 6 over a 50 gallon once, and although the upkeep was really annoying and expensive, it provided comparable light to the dual 175w halides that replaced it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: