• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is a little out there, but the recent account of tank failure in the GRD has got me thinking: Anyone way to brace an existing stand? Although my 120g has survived nearly a decade, i'm a bit paranoid as usual since 1) the tank does not sit on styrofoam (it was set-up prior to this being common practice) and 2) it sits on a solid pinewood stand surface (not just the parameter). I do have a sump underneath, but have not observed any warping (close to a 1000 pounds of tank/water/rocks seems to prevent this). Still, I'd like to brace the inside of the stand if it's doable, if not just for peace of mind.

Im not expecting anyone to have done this, but just thought to throw the question out there.

FYI: the scary part is after about a month, the tank settled to the point where the rear right corner is actually about 1/8" lower. After about a decade, the tank is still holding up well.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where exactly do you want to brace it? Around the perimeter or in the center by using joists?

Shane

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've been more informative ;)

I wanna cross brace it inside the stand to support the top of the stand as well as the side walls. BUT .... I don't have much room to work with, so a big joist prolly won't work.

I prolly won't end up doing anything since it's worked so well for so long, but that thread got me paranoid again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet that since your tank has been up for 10 years (WOW! 10 YEARS. TEN YEARS!) and the stand has held up, it's going to continue to hold up.

If you can get to both sides of the tank (Front/back) you could screw in a 2x6 or even a 2x4 that has a 'leg' BOLTED to it. Kinda like a big T.

If it were me, I'd leave it alone. You're going to cause unnecessary stress on the stand and the joints of the tank. Like you said before, one corner is 1/8" lower than the rest. And it's held water this long. NO need to mess with it.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: