• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it's late and I'm either getting tired or missed something. But, I can't for the life of me thread the 1/2" MNPT bushing into the female adapter on the bubble counter, or any of the reactor pieces for that matter. I thread them about a quarter of the way and they bind up. It is the same spot weather I have applied teflon tape or not.

Anyone else have this problem? Was this discussed and I missed the secret? It's almost as if the threads don't match, but I'm using the gear Brian sent in the package so I'm guessing they're right.

I just tried the Cobraflex into the base fitting and it is stopping at the same point.

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you glued it in, did you drip any weldon #40 in there?

Sometimes, with the cheap 1/2" nipples, they are threaded poorly, and won't thread in very far. In your case, it sounds like the female threads are buggered, but you should be able to get it in enough to seal. Don't necessarily expect to thread that thing in all the way.

BRIAN

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I really don't think I got #40 in any of them. I was pretty careful with that stuff. I thought I had crossed threaded it at first and backed it out and checked, but both the female and male threads looked and felt fine. So, I used a different male fitting to a different female on the base and it stopped at the same point.

They all thread in about 3-4 turns so with a little teflon tape I'm sure they will seal off. I was just comparing to your pics and it looks like you have yours threaded all the way down.

What's your secret? I even soaped up the threads and it still stops at the same spot. Weird.

Thanks for the fast response.

msorenson

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with mine as well. I think it has a lot to do with the poor tolerances of those PVC fittings.

I purchased more fittings until I found some that worked.

~ Mark

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No secret. That happens with me with the 1" fittings all the time. It depends on the brand of close nipple. I can get expensive ones that are machined instead of cast, and those work great. The cast ones tend to suck, but they are priced right.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: