• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Will C1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know its been asked before but i couldent find it with a search so i need to know which GE silicone is safe to use type I or II. thanks in advance.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will,

Type I is the stuff that used to be labeled as safe for aquarium use (now there is no mention of aquariums in the labeling but it's the same product).

Type II is labeled as not being suitable for aquarium use.

I've used Type I with no problems.

HTH

Will C1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much i have to finish off a sump today and i need to know which one i could safely use.

FrankK

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GE Type 2 Silicone is not recommended because it includes a fungicide.

I used Type 1. But be aware there are actually two varieties of GE Type 1 Silicone..

One comes in a red tube and is labelled, "Kitchen and Bath". I don't recommend this one because a GE rep told me it also has a fungicide in it.

The other comes in a blue tube and is labelled, "Window and Door". The GE rep told me it has no fungicide and this is the stuff I used.

Good luck!

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FrankK":3t7au20f said:
The other comes in a blue tube and is labelled, "Window and Door". The GE rep told me it has no fungicide and this is the stuff I used.

Yup, this is the stuff I used too. Thanks for the info Frank! :)

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question: is the ge-1 available in clear???

another: does dow corning make a reef safe sealant? as a facade consultant i've become a huge fan of dc's silicone products (795 holds the whole dang world together), i'm also from midland michigan, so i like to support the home team :)

FrankK

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started building my GARF-style plywood tank, I bought a bunch of the Dow Corning ("DAP") clear silicone caulk for the job. But then I contacted Dow and was told all their products have the fungicide. Had to return all the DAP stuff..

Expos Forever

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory escapes me at the moment but I'm pretty sure that only the Kitchen and Bath? has a fungicide. If you look at the whole list of products the ones (GE) with a fungicide should be cleary marked. That being said I would stick with Type 1 ...

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about safety, why don't you just buy the stuff made by Allglass to be safe?

Meanwhile, I have been using the silicon sticks that are used with a hot glue gun and have had no problems.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are TWO types of GE Type I.

DO NOT USE GE TYPE I KITCHEN AND BATH

GE Type I Kitchen and Bath WILL poison your tank. It's in a red container, there's a clue there.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way. I had to do it twice before I figured out the problem.... :x

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: