• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reeforme

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to built a sump/ Refugium for my 75G. I only have an area of 14" x 36" to put it in.Any Thoughts. I'm currently using a berlin skimmer with a RIO 2500 pump and a Mag 7 for return in a rubber maid but, I want to add a refugium. I have the Wife approval to invest! So I'm half way there!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen sump/refugium combos. THe designs are essentially the same idea, with the refugium water being fed directly to the pump area and bypassing the skimmer portion. There's actually several ways you can make this work. One of the simplier ways I can think of is to buy 3 seperate 10 gallon tanks and use one for the refugium, one for the skimmer, and one for the pump (and other accessories like heaters). The overflow is split to feed both the refugium and the skimmer tanks, and both overflow into the pump tank. Obviously, the skimmer and refugium tanks should be elevated above the pump tank (situated between the two other tanks). The only hard part is getting someone to drill holes for you if you choose affordable glass tanks. Acrylic is easy to drill, but acrylic tanks costs more.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, now that I reread your post, I don't think this can fit in your stand. You'll need to build a "all-in-one" sump/refugium then. Use the same principle: divide the container into three sections, and split the overflow to the two side areas, one containing the skimmer and the other the refugium.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: