• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vmiller

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

In the week 3 project instructions, you say to move the piece counterclockwise. On my router table the bit is moving counterclockwise, and the cyro documentation says to cut in the opposite direction of bit motion, which would mean moving the piece clockwise. This also agrees with the feed arrow on my router table.

Was this a typo in the lesson, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Vin

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you're a little confused. If the bit is rotating counterclockwise when you are looking down on it, you want to rotate your piece (if it's round) counterclockwise against that bit. Think of it this way:

If you look down at the bit, the side of the bit closest to you is moving from left to right. You now want the top edge of the piece you are routing to move from right to left, against the bit, into the cutters. That means rotating the piece you are holding counterclockwise, since the top edge of something rotating that direction would be moving from right to left.

No typos.

BRIAN

vmiller

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Makes sense now. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

What makes it confusing is that the bottom of the circle being routed out is at the bit during the top of the circle of motion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: