• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old 1/2" Aquagate I'm resurrecting. There's no clamping mechanism on it. I've got a 1 1/2" lip on my acrylic tank to get over. Any DIY ideas?

If necessary I can cut and bend some acrylic, but how to "fasten" to the AG body?

Thanks.
Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D hfmann,

O.K, if you go back to the DIY Rotating Return thread you will notice a picture near the beginning of an Aquagate laying open on its side.

Figure out where you wish to postion your clamps, position them on the outside as required and then back-drill from a pair of those round stand-off lugs down thru the box and into the bracket.

Watch those fingers! 8O

Using a tap and die set on sale at your local HD or borrowed from a friend, tap the appropriate thread into the box from the outside.

Open the hole thru the bracket separately so that your screws slide thru the bracket holes but thread into the box.

There you go. 8)

Van

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Van,

I'm back at this project....

Figure out where you wish to postion your clamps, position them on the outside as required and then back-drill from a pair of those round stand-off lugs down thru the box and into the bracket.

I can't figure out what size bolts to use. I was going to go 1/4 - 20 but that looks too large. Looks likk that'll wipe out the stand-offs. What do you recommend?

Thanks again,
Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Hal,

I would open the holes down through the stand-offs and into those brackets with a 3/32" drill. Take off the brackets and finish the holes in each part as follows:

Re-open those holes 7/64" in the box stand-offs and thread with a 6 NC 32 tap.

I would then open the holes in the brackets you plan to install, to 1/8" or 9/64" diameter for a nice slip fit. :wink:

That should help you get your AquaGate back up and running soon.

If you feel that a #6 nylon bolt is too small you could still be able to tap those holes for a #8 bolt using a 9/64" drill and an 8 NC 32 tap.

I personally feel the #6 will be more than enough. It's a mounting bracket after all and won't see all that much load.

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Van,

Those are very detailed and appreciated instructions. Thank you very much. I'll be able to borrow those sizes from work tomorrow.

I'm anxious to get this unit up and running. I've never used it before and really need the moving water current. Hope it doesn't leak. That' d be a big mess. :)

Thanks again.

Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hal,

If it leaks we'll rebuilt it and replace the O-Rings. :lol:

If that don't work, we'll transform it into a Rat. :P I have some old AquaGates here and could use them as a reference to come up with some mods.

Keep us informed. :wink:

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it Van!

I'm spray painting some of the outlet fittings black tonight and hope to hook the whole thing up tomorrow night.

Thanks.
Hal

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hal,

Spraypaint? 8O I don't think so! That's the last thing you'll want to do to outlet fittings that go into the water. The paint chemicals will leach out and poison the water as well as all your organisms.

The rotating pvc pipe on an AquaGate accepts regular sch40 pvc pipe elbow fittings for the outlet. If you wish black for your unit like they have on the Sea-Swirl, you can get them at Custom Aquatics, see attached link.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/detailcat.asp?CatID=pf&SubCatID=pf-pe

The manufacturer of the black pvc fittings is Spears. At Custom Aquatics you can buy one's and two's.

Any respectable plumbing distributor in your area should carry the other colors such as grey and white. After all, in a few months it'll be all covered with coralline algae anyway!

Van 8)

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Van,

Spraypaint? I don't think so! That's the last thing you'll want to do to outlet fittings that go into the water. The paint chemicals will leach out and poison the water as well as all your organisms.

Man, I hope not. I've had black spray painted pvc in the tank for about 3 months now. No obvious signs of problems. I was relying on the comments of Greg Schiemer and others in this thread -> http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t ... +paint+pvc

The brackets (bent acrylic) are functional but I sure wish I had been able to find that angle plastic you mentioned. I was able to do the drilling, tapping, and mounting last night, so tonight is testing, and hopefully installation.

I'm thinking of putting a little dab of silicone in the screw holes holding the casing together. Any other ideas that'll make the metal screws more accessible yet protect from metal contamination?

I'll post later how this all worked out.

Thanks again,
Hal

Hal

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Van :D ,,

It Works great! Just got a little tweaking to do regarding where and how I want the nozzels pointing. Thank you very much.

Here's some pix.

Thanks again.

Hal

Attachments

• bracket1.jpg
    bracket1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,028
  • sideviewintank.jpg
    sideviewintank.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,028

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Wow! Excellent job.

As for the paint, I learned something new today. Sorry if I got you scared, first time I hear of this.

Van 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: