• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

madrefkepr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time, a plywood and glass 150 gallon corner tank (48" sides, 67 7/8 front, 30" high). My brother has asked if I would help him build one. Has anyone built a plywood corner tank? If so, how did you do the top bracing? I have thought maybe an inverted triangle (center of front to center of sides, with a brace running from one side to the other. This could be a problem to light, however. Any ideas? Thanks!

yimmit

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mad,

I haven't built one, but what about building a good solid frame around the top instead of braces? Or what about running a brace inside the tank between the two plywood sides - like maybe a PVC pipe. Then build the reef rock structure up and over that brace to hide it. All that would be left is bracing the front to the back corner across the top.

Tim

madrefkepr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yimmit":1ajm8vba said:
Mad,

I haven't built one, but what about building a good solid frame around the top instead of braces? Or what about running a brace inside the tank between the two plywood sides - like maybe a PVC pipe. Then build the reef rock structure up and over that brace to hide it. All that would be left is bracing the front to the back corner across the top.

Tim

The frame around the top is not a bad idea. Something on the order of euro-bracing. Not sure about the pvc pipe idea. I'll have to talk to him and see what kind of aquascaping he is thinking of. Did give me an idea for a big arch, but it's not my tank. Thanks, yimmit!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: