• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefStar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have built my Durso Standpipes and I have a question. I know the water level needs to be in the middle of the elbow. I then add a piece of PVC and the end cap to the top of the standpipe. MY question is, how high should the total standpipe be? Should the height be equal to the top of the aquarium frame? Or does it make a difference? I assume the taller it is, the less salt creep that would clog the hole at the top....

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

skipm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added one to my 75 gal RR, I have the level of the top of the elbow approx 1 1/2 inches below the bottum of the weirs (notches) in the overflow. I wanted to keep the water level fairly high in the overflow bow to make the falling water less noisy.

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my standpipes so the water level in my overflow is only 2" from the top of overflow to cut down on noise. Of course the standpipes are higher than anything else back there, but all is working fine

camel shrimp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a solution for something that youguys have already done.....I think? I have a 120 reef ready and I want to prevent the water fall noise. Can anyone give me a suggestion??

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
camel shrimp":3e64f6s2 said:
I am trying to find a solution for something that youguys have already done.....I think? I have a 120 reef ready and I want to prevent the water fall noise. Can anyone give me a suggestion??

Make the Durso standpipe higher.

Just this past weekend, my parents were coming over for Easter.
I made the standpipe six months earlier and had lived with the waterfall noise.
I finally decided to 'fix' it by extending the standpipe up about 1 inch.
Water had less to fall, made much less noise.

I still had noise of it going through the slots- not much can be done about that, but the noise dropped dramatically. Wished I had done it sooner.

Regards.
Mike Kirda
Of course, that tank is *real* quiet now...
No water noise at all.

camel shrimp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice sounds good but can you explain how you "extend the pipe by one inch". Do you add another pipe to the existing one that came with the tank? I think I am a little confused.

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
camel shrimp":21t1q0f5 said:
The advice sounds good but can you explain how you "extend the pipe by one inch". Do you add another pipe to the existing one that came with the tank? I think I am a little confused.

I took the standpipe out of the tank. I took it into the garage where my tablesaw is. I grabbed another hunk of PVC pipe, measured it against the existing standpipe piece, then eyeballed an inch and cut it. I left the old piece of PVC in the garage, went back into the house, cleaned the new piece, then reassembled the parts and installed it.

I hope that is clear enough.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

camel shrimp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel pretty dumb now. You have explained the part that I understand. What I want to know is, was the original standpipe hollow and incvluded a prefilter sponge that fits around it?? If so how does the stand pipe compensate for the prefilter sponge?? Do you just throw it away???

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
camel shrimp":36u1od19 said:
I feel pretty dumb now. You have explained the part that I understand. What I want to know is, was the original standpipe hollow and incvluded a prefilter sponge that fits around it?? If so how does the stand pipe compensate for the prefilter sponge?? Do you just throw it away???

Don't feel dumb about not understanding something written on the web- this is not an ideal medium for communication.

The design I used was the original Durso design. No prefilter was used. The pipe with all the holes in it (and the sponges) that came with my Oceanic I didn't use.

Study the designs at Durso's web page. Choose the one that will work best for you. Just be sure that the vertical standpipe section is larger than the bulkhead used at the bottom of the tank. If the inside diameters are the same, the standpipe will not work.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: