• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MLVA123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, some of you have seen this already. Some have actually helped me with the design. My profound thanks to you all. Here is my revised plumbing design. I am getting ready to drill and cement parts together so I thought I would throw out this one last time for criticism. Thanks for looking.
-Mike

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 658

ScottC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,

Looks good, are you running a chiller? If you are, I'd run it through the closed system with the temperature probe placed inline before it.

Also, you could buy true union ball valves for your pumps to eliminate a few glue joints. Don't forget about syphon breaks for your open system returns, the check valves are nice, but I wouldn't count on them to stop flow 100%.

What type of skimmer will you use? Do you have an idea how you will eliminate bubbles from returning to the tank from the skimmer overflow?

Other than that, looks good!

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good just a thought would you want to put a SCWD on your closed loop. I think this would help to add a nice effect. Also I assume you will put a guard on the loop return. I would never fully trust check valves either. Is it possible to move the sump returns up higher?
All I can think of at this moment
HTH
JJ

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is a revised plumbing design, my suggestions may contradict what others have already told you. Nevertheless, here are my thoughts:

1) As already mentioned, it is not a good idea to rely on check valves. I would add anti-syphon holes to your sump returns. This may be difficiult since you are bringing the returns through the back of the tank and under water. You could possible add a 1/4" bulkhead to the top of the return lines and run a 1/4" tube upward over the back of the tank so that it exits into the tank above the water line.

2) I would add a valve to control the flow from the 0.5" standpipe that feeds the left side of the sump.

3) Your unions sholud be between the pump and the ball valves on the closed loop.

4) I would double the number or size of the intakes for the closed loop. You want the flow rate (and the suction force) going through the intakes to be low, much lower than going out through the returns.

5) You should be aware that the portion of the sump where your return pump sits is separated from the rest of the sump by the vertical baffles. That means that evaporation will lower the water level of the pump area only, and since this is a relatively small area/volumn, you will get large and relatively quick fluctuations in the water level in this area. To reduce this problem, you may want to lower the top of the baffle adjacent the DSB, and move the baffles on the right side much closer to the skimmer.

6) Remember, you want to maintain a water level in your sump that is low enough to accomodate all the water in circulation when the return pump shuts down. This is often a lot more water than you might expect. Lowering the water will also help to control salt creep and splashing.

FWIW, I have designed, re-designed, modified, and re-modified sumps for tanks from 65 to 400 gallons more times than I like to admit.

Mike

clyde

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to do it right, forget the SCWD, go seaswirl

otherwise your plumbing looks excellent, you've put a lot of thought into this.

reefann":8tfrxhul said:
Looks good just a thought would you want to put a SCWD on your closed loop. I think this would help to add a nice effect. Also I assume you will put a guard on the loop return. I would never fully trust check valves either. Is it possible to move the sump returns up higher?
All I can think of at this moment
HTH
JJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: