• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

smlacy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've got an idea for cheap "dosing" or dripping (specifically, of kalk, but this could work for any additive) that I thought I'd run by you guys:

First, the problems with standard solutions:
- Drip tanks (e.g. Kent): Too Unsightly, too expensive, reservoir too small, especially if not using a sump, and especially if dosing kalk for topoff.
- Dosing Pumps: Too Expensive, Too loud, too hard to adjust, need periodic maintenence (replacement tubing, etc.)
- Standard float switch: Too fast for kalk and additives, only good for fresh water topoff.

So, what I was thinking of, is a fairly small (~1 quart) reservoir above the waterline with a standard inexpensive "drip line" setup coming out of it and into the tank. This reservoir would be small enough to either fit inside the tank hood/canopy, or above the sump.

There would be a float switch in the small reservoir. This float switch would control a standard powerhead and pump water from a large (i.e. ~5g) reservoir under the aquarium stand, and into the small reservoir. It would always keep the small reservoir "replenished" as fluid slowly dripped into the tank.

There would also be a float switch at the main waterline (tank or sump, depending on setup) to prevent overflow.

Advantages: Cheap, Quiet, easy to replicate for multi-part additives, reliable.
Disadvantages: ??? (have to DIY, I guess.)

One can envision a multi-chamber small "holding tank" that could dose many separate addatives at independently controllable rates very inexpesively. (1 pump + 1 float switch = ~$30 per "channel" of dosing)

Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried this?

Steve

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it would work fine. One thing I would incorporate is some type of built-in standpipe overflow in the small "dripper" reservoirs that spills back into corresponding main reservoir. That way, you can't overtop your small drip container if the float switch sticks on - the fluid will just keep draining back to the main reservoir. (In fact, you might just set it up that way so you can eliminate the need for float switches in the small reservoirs all together?) Look at the overflow protection in a Borneman surge device for an example of what I'm talking about...

Personally, I don't like float switches much (paranoid) and prefer something simpler, but that's JMO.

Another alternative is to use a small powerhead run by a digital appliance timer (you can also reduce the tubing size down and/or use a valve to further restrict flow). The digital appliance timer I have can go down to 1 minute increments and up to 6 on/off cycles per day and it was only about $25 at Lowes. Combined with a powerhead it can be sortof a "poor man's" dosing pump...LOL

Another alternative is to use an airpump in a similar way (run periodically on the timer) with a sealed (except for the outlet hose of course :wink: ) drip container. When the pump kicks on and pressure builds up in the container, the fluid is dispensed.

HTH

Lofus

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to install a pump to maintain the level in your small reservoir, why bother with the drip at all and just have the pump discharge run straight into your tank off a float switch in the tank (or sump)?

smlacy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the point of the small reservoir is to control the rate of flow into the tank, and allows for several "channels" of dosing at the same time, at different rates.

For example, with kalkwasser, you can't just pump it striaight into the tank, because the resulting pH change is very dangerous. So, you pump into a small reservoir, and then drip from there. You adjust the drip rate to match evaporation.

Steve

herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another easy way to dose trace elements would be to have an airtight jar filled with the liquid with two airlines holes at top. One goes to the bottom of the jar and out to the tank, the other just pumps in air. You could put the air pump on a timer and when it turns on the air pressure inside would force out liquid through the tubing until it turns off. :wink: Chris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: