• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vmiller

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

The vasaline didn't help the leaking gasket. it's probably because of the extra hole I had to create for it to fit.

Could you give me the product # of the gasket at mcmaster carr (there's a million on their web site)? Or can I get one at home depot or a similar place?

Thanks,
Vin

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second that wuestion. Someone asked me today about the gasket material, and I really couldn't answer. And like he said, MC has a billion gaskets on their website.'

Russ

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brian. Any gasket materials you suggest to generally avoid? Gasket materials other than the rubber that you recommend?

Russ

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I usually use neoprene when I use gaskets. I used both neoprene and red rubber for this class, to keep expenses down. I had a bunch of the neoprene ones already, so some people got those.

BRIAN

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I only recently got my reactor running. I'm having leaking problems from the gasket as well.

Brian - would silicone grease be a better alternative than vasoline? Vasoline is from a petrleum source - can't imagine that would be good in a tank, and vasoline degrades rubber (hence the recommendations for KY Jelly rather than vasoline on condoms).

If some lubricant/sealant on the gasket doesn't work, should I get a neoprene gasket? What's the McMaster Carr Product No for the neoprene gasket suitable for this application?

Russ

vmiller

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ,

My gasket was leaking because I was running way too much water pressure through it. Once I reduced the input pressure, there was no more problem.

Vin

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, silicone would be a better alternative. But, as Vin stated, chances are you're getting too much pressure into the reactor, and if you reduce that, you'll probably get less leaking. There's no difference between the rubber and neoprene gaskets, in fact, the rubber ones are softer, and should seal easier than the neoprene.

B

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much pressure? Hmm. I've got a maxijet 1200 supplying the water with a needle valve limiting the outflow from the top of the reactor. I have about 10 bubbles per minute CO2.

Given that, do you still think its over pressurized?

Russ

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up...

I didn't think a maxijet 1200 had the wherewithall to over pressurize the system, but apparently that was what was going on. I throttled down the flow by using a needle valve between the maxijet and the reactor - and the leaks are no more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: